Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Australian Moms

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So i was watching a documentary on poverty in Australia earlier and i saw no real poverty. People in Australia make more being unemployed on welfare than people in the us make on minimum wage (7.25 an hour) working full time. Note that im judging from info in a documentary and your country's welfare website. And the unemployment rate is lower, and minimum wage is almost 17 an hour ........ How could there be poverty under such great conditions?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Replies (41-50):
cybcm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM

More or less. It's complicated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

In a nutshell, if you have no reason to own a gun (police officer, sport shooter, farmer and so on) then you don't get to have one, which is the majority of the population.

Quoting Anonymous:

Also is it true that guns are illegal there?

Quoting TG3:

I used to work full time in a supermarket and came out with $600 a week.

Quoting whovianmum:

I'm not sure,it's a pretty broad term.That's why I mentioned what jobs I'm applying for because I don't know what OP or her husband do for a living and what's normal to them lol.

Quoting TG3:

what do you consider a normal job?

Quoting whovianmum:

I'm currently applying for jobs in retail and most of the pay starts at around $20/hr.Not sure which jobs you mean when you say normal jobs lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Yea, you make more that dh & i combined after taxes and we both work full time, seriously considering getting a visa, what do normal jobs pay there?

Quoting whovianmum:

There really isn't poverty in the same sense that there's poverty in the US.Of course there are families struggling but I've only ever seen 3 homeless people in my entire life.If you can get in department of housing they take 25% of your income which will most likely be government payments if you're living in DOH.I'm currently on a parenting payment,and get almost $800 a fortnight,my SO is on a disability support payment which pays almost $700 a fortnight,and we're considered poor,which going by stories I've read on here,we're doing pretty damn well.

TG3
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM

we have 31 free channels here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. I meant TV. Sorry. Here, without some sort of service, you can MAYBE get 1 or 2 channels. You can always use netflix or hulu to download shows and movies but to watch things like the news or shows when they come on, you have to have some kind of tv service. There are several different types of package, starting with just the basic local channels and adding from there.

Quoting miss-karla:

Cable u meaning tv?

Our tv is free to air standard channels, so we dont pay for channels unless u get foxtel which u can pay for extra tv channels.

There are package deals for that, but we can download movies or tv shows anyway

Quoting Anonymous:

You pay maybe $100 in rent more than I do but we pay monthly. And I live in an area where COL is very low.

Internet runs a bit less depending on the company. Do you guys have cable? A lot of times that is packaged with internet and sometimes a home phone.

Electricity can run around $150-$200 per month sometimes.

No clue about gas

Water bill is only $30-$40/ month

Diapers are usually around $20-$30 for the box

And fomula is about the same.

We spend about $300 weekly on groceries for a family of 5 but we shop cheap too and stick to a tight budget. It was easy to spenf $100-$200 weekly for a famimy of 3.

Quoting miss-karla:

Umm depends.. wen i go shopping i spend about 100-200 per week.. but thats just for myself, partner and baby.. includes meat, fruit n veg, baby stuff, toiletries, n other stuff i need.

Rent 232 per week

Internet is 75 a month

Home phone about 35 a month

Electricity is about 200-500 per 3 months

Gas is about 100-200 varies per month

Water bill is about 100-150 per 3 mths

Umm but then there are expenses like take out.

Nappies like huggies is like 30 per box of 100. Formula is around 20 per tin.

But in saying that. Some people who are in poverty buy drugs n alcohol before anything else, and thats why they dont have money.

But everyones spending is different, n can make do on 500 for 2 weeks.

Quoting Anonymous:

A single mother with 1 child gets only 300 per month here in the us plus about 250 in foodstamps, what else is more expensive, what are the prices of things

Quoting miss-karla:

Im australian. Its cause everything is expensive. For a unemployed single person over 22 u get around 500-600 a fortnite/2 weeks. But rent here can be around 200-400 per week. Centrelink benefits are not enough to live of comfortably but gets u by.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Ours USED to be like that but not anymore

Quoting TG3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. I meant TV. Sorry. Here, without some sort of service, you can MAYBE get 1 or 2 channels. You can always use netflix or hulu to download shows and movies but to watch things like the news or shows when they come on, you have to have some kind of tv service. There are several different types of package, starting with just the basic local channels and adding from there.

Quoting miss-karla:

Cable u meaning tv?

Our tv is free to air standard channels, so we dont pay for channels unless u get foxtel which u can pay for extra tv channels.

Quoting Anonymous:

You pay maybe $100 in rent more than I do but we pay monthly. And I live in an area where COL is very low.

Internet runs a bit less depending on the company. Do you guys have cable? A lot of times that is packaged with internet and sometimes a home phone.

No clue about gas

We spend about $300 weekly on groceries for a family of 5 but we shop cheap too and stick to a tight budget. It was easy to spenf $100-$200 weekly for a famimy of 3.

Quoting miss-karla:

Umm depends.. wen i go shopping i spend about 100-200 per week.. but thats just for myself, partner and baby.. includes meat, fruit n veg, baby stuff, toiletries, n other stuff i need.

Rent 232 per week

Internet is 75 a month

But in saying that. Some people who are in poverty buy drugs n alcohol before anything else, and thats why they dont have money.

Quoting Anonymous:

A single mother with 1 child gets only 300 per month here in the us plus about 250 in foodstamps, what else is more expensive, what are the prices of things

Quoting miss-karla:

Im australian. Its cause everything is expensive. For a unemployed single person over 22 u get around 500-600 a fortnite/2 weeks. But rent here can be around 200-400 per week. Centrelink benefits are not enough to live of comfortably but gets u by.

Sacha102
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I would eventually love to study, not sure what yet but one day when the boys are a bit older! We only recently got ourselfs out of our mess, it was close to being bankrupt but lucky our house went up a fair bit in the last 18 months and we managed to refinance, massive difference, also I have just gone back to work 3 days a week after being on maternity leave so that also helps. 

Tell hubby he can work in the mines and you stay down here lol

Quoting TG3:

Yeah I'm currently at university studying to be a paramedic and then my wage will more than double ... its so difficult right now but worth it. DH wants to send me to the mines when I'm qualified so he can live in the lap of luxury. Oh and I know all about debt we've been bankrupt and it sucks.

Quoting Sacha102:

Because due to past mistakes we got ourselves into debt, our fault yes, but lucky for us now fixed. Now he works for our future up there - it works for us. Doesn't make the cost of living any less though.  

Quoting TG3:

We're in Perth and neither of us work in the mines (we both work in a call centre) and we manage ok and own our own home. Unless you're in Cott or Dalkeith I don't see why that's your only option.

Quoting Sacha102:

My husband has to work away in the mines for us to be able to afford to live - if he never done that we probably wouldn't have our house. Cost of living in perth (western Australia) is huge! 

TG3
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:22 AM

we used to have 5: 2, 7, 9, 10, 28 ... when they brought in digital tv they slowly increased the channels.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TG3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss-karla:

Cable u meaning tv?

Quoting Anonymous:

No clue about gas

Quoting miss-karla:

Rent 232 per week

Internet is 75 a month

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss-karla:

whovianmum
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Yeah it's just as good,and soo much cheaper to go Coles homebrand.We tried ALDI out for a while and they're pantry stuff is ok but their meat is just NASTY!We decided it was worth the few extra bucks not to gag at the taste lol.

We shop weekly and usually spend around $50-70 at coles,$30ish at local fruit and veg place,and then a big meat pack from the local butcher for around $80 but that lasts quite a while.I love that where I'm living now there's the better quality local places that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Quoting TG3:

I love Coles homebrand ... I can get a full shop for $120 a fortnight if I buy homebrand and get the meat on special.

Quoting whovianmum:

Yeah I get my bread and milk for $1 at Coles.It might be an average of different supermarkets I guess.

Quoting TG3:

some of that is wrong. I can get a loaf of white bread for 99c at my local IGA and Woolworths do a litre of milk for $1.

Quoting whovianmum:

EVERYTHING is more expensive.Check this out - http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Australia

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss-karla:

TG3
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:23 AM

he works in corporate complaints for a leading internet provider ... he loves his job and wouldn't leave for all the money in the world.

Quoting Sacha102:

I would eventually love to study, not sure what yet but one day when the boys are a bit older! We only recently got ourselfs out of our mess, it was close to being bankrupt but lucky our house went up a fair bit in the last 18 months and we managed to refinance, massive difference, also I have just gone back to work 3 days a week after being on maternity leave so that also helps. 

Quoting TG3:

Yeah I'm currently at university studying to be a paramedic and then my wage will more than double ... its so difficult right now but worth it. DH wants to send me to the mines when I'm qualified so he can live in the lap of luxury. Oh and I know all about debt we've been bankrupt and it sucks.

Quoting Sacha102:

Because due to past mistakes we got ourselves into debt, our fault yes, but lucky for us now fixed. Now he works for our future up there - it works for us. Doesn't make the cost of living any less though.  

Quoting TG3:

We're in Perth and neither of us work in the mines (we both work in a call centre) and we manage ok and own our own home. Unless you're in Cott or Dalkeith I don't see why that's your only option.

Quoting Sacha102:

My husband has to work away in the mines for us to be able to afford to live - if he never done that we probably wouldn't have our house. Cost of living in perth (western Australia) is huge! 

Sacha102
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Would you like to work in the mines?

Quoting TG3:

he works in corporate complaints for a leading internet provider ... he loves his job and wouldn't leave for all the money in the world.

Quoting Sacha102:

Quoting TG3:

Quoting Sacha102:

Quoting TG3:

Quoting Sacha102:

TG3
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM

we don't have ALDI here :( DH used to be a butcher and I know what they're like, I refuse to buy meat at a butchers anymore

Quoting whovianmum:

Yeah it's just as good,and soo much cheaper to go Coles homebrand.We tried ALDI out for a while and they're pantry stuff is ok but their meat is just NASTY!We decided it was worth the few extra bucks not to gag at the taste lol.

We shop weekly and usually spend around $50-70 at coles,$30ish at local fruit and veg place,and then a big meat pack from the local butcher for around $80 but that lasts quite a while.I love that where I'm living now there's the better quality local places that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Quoting TG3:

I love Coles homebrand ... I can get a full shop for $120 a fortnight if I buy homebrand and get the meat on special.

Quoting whovianmum:

Yeah I get my bread and milk for $1 at Coles.It might be an average of different supermarkets I guess.

Quoting TG3:

some of that is wrong. I can get a loaf of white bread for 99c at my local IGA and Woolworths do a litre of milk for $1.

Quoting whovianmum:

EVERYTHING is more expensive.Check this out - http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Australia

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss-karla:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM
The opposite happened here. Before, you could get locally aired channels and PBS and a couple of others. Since the change to digital, it has decreased until you can barely get 1-2 channels.

Quoting TG3:

we used to have 5: 2, 7, 9, 10, 28 ... when they brought in digital tv they slowly increased the channels.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TG3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss-karla:

Cable u meaning tv?

Quoting Anonymous:

No clue about gas

Quoting miss-karla:

Rent 232 per week

Internet is 75 a month

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss-karla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN