Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Australian Moms

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So i was watching a documentary on poverty in Australia earlier and i saw no real poverty. People in Australia make more being unemployed on welfare than people in the us make on minimum wage (7.25 an hour) working full time. Note that im judging from info in a documentary and your country's welfare website. And the unemployment rate is lower, and minimum wage is almost 17 an hour ........ How could there be poverty under such great conditions?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Replies (51-53):
TG3
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:27 AM

It wouldn't bother me ... I was gonna go in the airforce before my knees packed in

Quoting Sacha102:

Would you like to work in the mines?

Quoting TG3:

he works in corporate complaints for a leading internet provider ... he loves his job and wouldn't leave for all the money in the world.

Quoting Sacha102:

I would eventually love to study, not sure what yet but one day when the boys are a bit older! We only recently got ourselfs out of our mess, it was close to being bankrupt but lucky our house went up a fair bit in the last 18 months and we managed to refinance, massive difference, also I have just gone back to work 3 days a week after being on maternity leave so that also helps. 

Tell hubby he can work in the mines and you stay down here lol

Quoting TG3:

Yeah I'm currently at university studying to be a paramedic and then my wage will more than double ... its so difficult right now but worth it. DH wants to send me to the mines when I'm qualified so he can live in the lap of luxury. Oh and I know all about debt we've been bankrupt and it sucks.

Quoting Sacha102:

Because due to past mistakes we got ourselves into debt, our fault yes, but lucky for us now fixed. Now he works for our future up there - it works for us. Doesn't make the cost of living any less though.  

Quoting TG3:

We're in Perth and neither of us work in the mines (we both work in a call centre) and we manage ok and own our own home. Unless you're in Cott or Dalkeith I don't see why that's your only option.

Quoting Sacha102:

My husband has to work away in the mines for us to be able to afford to live - if he never done that we probably wouldn't have our house. Cost of living in perth (western Australia) is huge! 

whovianmum
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Erm,I don't like the sounds of that!lol what are they like??

Quoting TG3:

we don't have ALDI here :( DH used to be a butcher and I know what they're like, I refuse to buy meat at a butchers anymore

Quoting whovianmum:

Yeah it's just as good,and soo much cheaper to go Coles homebrand.We tried ALDI out for a while and they're pantry stuff is ok but their meat is just NASTY!We decided it was worth the few extra bucks not to gag at the taste lol.

We shop weekly and usually spend around $50-70 at coles,$30ish at local fruit and veg place,and then a big meat pack from the local butcher for around $80 but that lasts quite a while.I love that where I'm living now there's the better quality local places that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Quoting TG3:

I love Coles homebrand ... I can get a full shop for $120 a fortnight if I buy homebrand and get the meat on special.

Quoting whovianmum:

Yeah I get my bread and milk for $1 at Coles.It might be an average of different supermarkets I guess.

Quoting TG3:

some of that is wrong. I can get a loaf of white bread for 99c at my local IGA and Woolworths do a litre of milk for $1.

Quoting whovianmum:

EVERYTHING is more expensive.Check this out - http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Australia

Quoting Anonymous:

A single mother with 1 child gets only 300 per month here in the us plus about 250 in foodstamps, what else is more expensive, what are the prices of things

Quoting miss-karla:

Im australian. Its cause everything is expensive. For a unemployed single person over 22 u get around 500-600 a fortnite/2 weeks. But rent here can be around 200-400 per week. Centrelink benefits are not enough to live of comfortably but gets u by.

Sacha102
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Well as long as its not a problem for you then that's great - I find it difficult for hubby to be away but I cope and we spend quality time together when his home so it's not so bad :-)

Quoting TG3:

It wouldn't bother me ... I was gonna go in the airforce before my knees packed in

Quoting Sacha102:

Would you like to work in the mines?

Quoting TG3:

he works in corporate complaints for a leading internet provider ... he loves his job and wouldn't leave for all the money in the world.

Quoting Sacha102:

I would eventually love to study, not sure what yet but one day when the boys are a bit older! We only recently got ourselfs out of our mess, it was close to being bankrupt but lucky our house went up a fair bit in the last 18 months and we managed to refinance, massive difference, also I have just gone back to work 3 days a week after being on maternity leave so that also helps. 

Tell hubby he can work in the mines and you stay down here lol

Quoting TG3:

Yeah I'm currently at university studying to be a paramedic and then my wage will more than double ... its so difficult right now but worth it. DH wants to send me to the mines when I'm qualified so he can live in the lap of luxury. Oh and I know all about debt we've been bankrupt and it sucks.

Quoting Sacha102:

Because due to past mistakes we got ourselves into debt, our fault yes, but lucky for us now fixed. Now he works for our future up there - it works for us. Doesn't make the cost of living any less though.  

Quoting TG3:

We're in Perth and neither of us work in the mines (we both work in a call centre) and we manage ok and own our own home. Unless you're in Cott or Dalkeith I don't see why that's your only option.

Quoting Sacha102:

My husband has to work away in the mines for us to be able to afford to live - if he never done that we probably wouldn't have our house. Cost of living in perth (western Australia) is huge! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN