Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hypothetical scenario

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
Your son/daughter moves out of home either college, their own house or a share house); is there ANYTHING they could do that would force you to drag their butt back home? Would you ever force them to visit you?

:( though - my DD just moved out of home and doesn't want to spend either her birthday or Christmas with us and I don't know whether I should force it or not. She's single, no commitments, but has already bought us presents she plans on giving to us earlier.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Let her have her fun. Forcing her will only cause resentment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol force it? How do you force an adult to do something?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Lol I don't know; I know my dad got his way with us, but we were scared shitless of him - even as adults.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lilfootmommy
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM
this

Quoting Anonymous:

TatyBear
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM
As much as it would be nice, forcing it is wrong.

Just because she is single does not mean anything. Let her enjoy her adult life. Maybe she will regret it and will.be home next year. Great learning time right here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM
My grandmother tries to guilt me into coming to we house for the holidays. This year I am going out to eat with my mother. Then Christmas my dh and myself n son will stay home and I will cook for my little family. Let your daughter do her own thing
ramita
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I would just ask her to reconsider spending some holiday time with y'all, or if y'all can set up a date and time to celebrate even if its not on the actual holiday. Let her know y'all miss having her around, and that you don't want to prevent her from having fun and a life, you still would Luke to be a part of her life. If she straight up answers no, simply ask my I ask why. Hopefully you'll get an answer if not drop it, and just anytime y'all have something going on text her date and time and ask her to please join y'all if she can. She'll eventually get y'all want to be in her life, but aren't trying to control it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM

When our 2 kids hit college age we always tell them to stay home as long as they want , continue to go to school, work part time, save your money

Mrseoc
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Let her spread her wings. She'll come back :)

Lilith.23
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM
This sounds like my mom.
Don't worry, she just moved out, it's big for her.
She wants to feel like she can be an adult, do her own thing without mommy an daddy for a while.
Don't try and force her to spend it with you, it'll make her not want to be around and you'll just end up making her feel like a child, wich is the opposite of what she is now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)