Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Anyone in TX not ready for this storm?

Im about 20 mins from Ft.Worth and i admit, this weather scares the shit outta me.
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Well, for one, there are the people who don't know how to drive in it. Then there is the issue that in some cases even major metropolitan areas aren't prepared to properly sand and salt the roads, much less all the small towns and smaller cities. A few years ago we got 13 inches of snow and it shut the city down because they simply didn't have enough plows. Yesterday we had ice and there were tons of wrecks between the drivers and lack of salt/sand. This year our supplies of those items were depleted due to vandalism which added to the issue.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

What kind of problems does it cause?  Its just something that we are so used to that really we don't even blink an eye when we get ice storms or snow.  Is it that just most people down there don't know how to drive in the conditions? 

Quoting Okie-chick:

For Texas and that area,yes lol

Quoting daughteroftruth:

This isn't meant to be rude.. but 2 inches of ice and snow is a big deal?

Alliemad_003
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Cities around here do not have the resources to keep roads safe. People up north take for granted the salt trucks, etc that makes it possible to travel normally. We don't have it regularly.

Couple that with people who don't know how to drive in it and it makes for a really chaotic rush hour.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

What kind of problems does it cause?  Its just something that we are so used to that really we don't even blink an eye when we get ice storms or snow.  Is it that just most people down there don't know how to drive in the conditions? 

Quoting Okie-chick:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Alliemad_003
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I wish people understood these things before making fun of southerners...lol

Quoting FoxFire363:

Well, for one, there are the people who don't know how to drive in it. Then there is the issue that in some cases even major metropolitan areas aren't prepared to properly sand and salt the roads, much less all the small towns and smaller cities. A few years ago we got 13 inches of snow and it shut the city down because they simply didn't have enough plows. Yesterday we had ice and there were tons of wrecks between the drivers and lack of salt/sand. This year our supplies of those items were depleted due to vandalism which added to the issue.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Okie-chick:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Right? Many smaller towns don't even own sand/salt equipment. It just doesn't happen often enough to be a cost effective investment for many smaller communities. I'm in OKC and we get ice and/or snow at least a couple of times a year, and it's still bad. I grew up in a small town in Texas and we definitely didn't have anything in place to salt or sand the roads.

Quoting Alliemad_003:

Quoting FoxFire363:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Okie-chick:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Wasn't making fun, it was a serious question. 

Quoting Alliemad_003:

Quoting FoxFire363:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Okie-chick:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
That was Christmas eve 2009 right? I believe it was the record snow fall. We lived in Norman at the time, and there was 12 inches, 14 in OKC. We are Mainers, born and bred so it was no big deal to us but, I remember everyone else freaking out about it.

Quoting FoxFire363:

I'm in Oklahoma and we got ice yesterday and are supposed to get snow tomorrow. There were tons of wrecks yesterday because people here aren't good at driving in this stuff and the DOT isn't very good about salting and sanding the roads. Plus we were low on either salt or sand due to a vandalism incident this year. A few years ago we got a very rare blizzard and it was just bedlam. The city didn't have enough plows to handle the amount of snow we got, lol.
daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM

How long does storms like this usually shut things down?  Do they shut roads down for ice?

Quoting FoxFire363:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Okie-chick:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
That's right, it was 14 inches here. Yes that's the storm I'm referring to, and I'm in OKC. The difference is that Maine is set up to deal with these things, OK is not. Cars were stuck everywhere and there weren't enough plows to clear the roads. Every guy with a bobcat was out making an extra buck, lol. Where in Maine are you from? I have family in Maine, it's beautiful there, but I was pretty shocked when I was visiting them one March and it snowed!

Quoting Rebecca7708:

That was Christmas eve 2009 right? I believe it was the record snow fall. We lived in Norman at the time, and there was 12 inches, 14 in OKC. We are Mainers, born and bred so it was no big deal to us but, I remember everyone else freaking out about it.

Quoting FoxFire363:

I'm in Oklahoma and we got ice yesterday and are supposed to get snow tomorrow. There were tons of wrecks yesterday because people here aren't good at driving in this stuff and the DOT isn't very good about salting and sanding the roads. Plus we were low on either salt or sand due to a vandalism incident this year. A few years ago we got a very rare blizzard and it was just bedlam. The city didn't have enough plows to handle the amount of snow we got, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I'm still confused what they are saying will hit the waco/temple area??
daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM

not all towns get sanded (we don't do salt in our county).   the main hwy gets sanded when it gets really bad, towns dont.  Typically we don't even get our roads plowed.  They will plow the main street and the street that leads to the emergency services shed.. but that's really it.. unless we get feet of snow.. and not on Sundays.  So not all of the north takes for granted that stuff, hard to take for granted what you don't have.

Quoting Alliemad_003:

Cities around here do not have the resources to keep roads safe. People up north take for granted the salt trucks, etc that makes it possible to travel normally. We don't have it regularly.

Couple that with people who don't know how to drive in it and it makes for a really chaotic rush hour.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Okie-chick:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)