Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Anyone in TX not ready for this storm?

Im about 20 mins from Ft.Worth and i admit, this weather scares the shit outta me.
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (51-60):
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I've only seen them flat out close roads for ice if there's an accident that needs cleared. The city doesn't entirely shut down for ice, but many businesses close or close early, sometimes schools close. Yesterday we did have an overpass that was being described as one huge sheet of ice, but it didn't get shut down, even though that might have been wise. It depends on the severity of the storm. I've never seen the city shut down for over a day for any storm, except the Christmas Eve blizzard I was telling you about. It took at least 2 days for the city to be fully functional after that, but keep in mind that the storm occurred Christmas Eve, so that had an effect as well. Keep in mind though, that I am in a major metro that does have salt/sand, just sometimes not enough of those things. I'm not in one if the small towns.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

How long does storms like this usually shut things down?  Do they shut roads down for ice?

Quoting FoxFire363:

Well, for one, there are the people who don't know how to drive in it. Then there is the issue that in some cases even major metropolitan areas aren't prepared to properly sand and salt the roads, much less all the small towns and smaller cities. A few years ago we got 13 inches of snow and it shut the city down because they simply didn't have enough plows. Yesterday we had ice and there were tons of wrecks between the drivers and lack of salt/sand. This year our supplies of those items were depleted due to vandalism which added to the issue.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

What kind of problems does it cause?  Its just something that we are so used to that really we don't even blink an eye when we get ice storms or snow.  Is it that just most people down there don't know how to drive in the conditions? 

Quoting Okie-chick:

For Texas and that area,yes lol

Quoting daughteroftruth:

This isn't meant to be rude.. but 2 inches of ice and snow is a big deal?

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM
South Portland. Yes, it can snow as late as April and as Early as October. I remember shortly after we moved to Oklahoma I was walking out of Walmart and I got stopped by a sweet old lady. It was late September, early October. My baby didn't have socks or a hat on because we were HOT. She told me I should get some clothes on him. Once I told her we were from Maine, she said "Oh, dear! This must be so unpleasant for you!". We only lasted about a year and a half out there. I was so glad to be home.

Quoting FoxFire363:

That's right, it was 14 inches here. Yes that's the storm I'm referring to, and I'm in OKC. The difference is that Maine is set up to deal with these things, OK is not. Cars were stuck everywhere and there weren't enough plows to clear the roads. Every guy with a bobcat was out making an extra buck, lol. Where in Maine are you from? I have family in Maine, it's beautiful there, but I was pretty shocked when I was visiting them one March and it snowed!

Quoting Rebecca7708:

That was Christmas eve 2009 right? I believe it was the record snow fall. We lived in Norman at the time, and there was 12 inches, 14 in OKC. We are Mainers, born and bred so it was no big deal to us but, I remember everyone else freaking out about it.

Quoting FoxFire363:

I'm in Oklahoma and we got ice yesterday and are supposed to get snow tomorrow. There were tons of wrecks yesterday because people here aren't good at driving in this stuff and the DOT isn't very good about salting and sanding the roads. Plus we were low on either salt or sand due to a vandalism incident this year. A few years ago we got a very rare blizzard and it was just bedlam. The city didn't have enough plows to handle the amount of snow we got, lol.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I moved out of the Desert so i could have a real Winter! I LOve SNOW!! There's over 6" on my deck right now and i Love it!! So does my dog!

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:56 PM
My aunt lived in Portland for years, she's in West Bath now that she's retired. I bet you hated summer here, lol. I hate summer here and I'm from Texas.

Quoting Rebecca7708:South Portland. Yes, it can snow as late as April and as Early as October. I remember shortly after we moved to Oklahoma I was walking out of Walmart and I got stopped by a sweet old lady. It was late September, early October. My baby didn't have socks or a hat on because we were HOT. She told me I should get some clothes on him. Once I told her we were from Maine, she said "Oh, dear! This must be so unpleasant for you!". We only lasted about a year and a half out there. I was so glad to be home.

Quoting FoxFire363:That's right, it was 14 inches here. Yes that's the storm I'm referring to, and I'm in OKC. The difference is that Maine is set up to deal with these things, OK is not. Cars were stuck everywhere and there weren't enough plows to clear the roads. Every guy with a bobcat was out making an extra buck, lol. Where in Maine are you from? I have family in Maine, it's beautiful there, but I was pretty shocked when I was visiting them one March and it snowed!

Quoting Rebecca7708:That was Christmas eve 2009 right? I believe it was the record snow fall. We lived in Norman at the time, and there was 12 inches, 14 in OKC. We are Mainers, born and bred so it was no big deal to us but, I remember everyone else freaking out about it.

Quoting FoxFire363:I'm in Oklahoma and we got ice yesterday and are supposed to get snow tomorrow. There were tons of wrecks yesterday because people here aren't good at driving in this stuff and the DOT isn't very good about salting and sanding the roads. Plus we were low on either salt or sand due to a vandalism incident this year. A few years ago we got a very rare blizzard and it was just bedlam. The city didn't have enough plows to handle the amount of snow we got, lol.

SummerMeadowMom
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I'm not ready, and I'm in Lamar county
SummerMeadowMom
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM

When your from texas and it isn't something your use to. Yes it's a big deal. I don't think, I could deal with weather any colder than this.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Alliemad_003
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I didn't mean you in particular. But when things like this happen, we tend to get mocked and made fun of quite a bit.

It's like when people complain of heat in parts of the country where it doesn't usually get hot. I *could* roll my eyes because a week long heat wave is making people flip their lids, but I don't. Because people in those area probably dont have central air, etc that we are used to.

Anyways. It was just a general statement.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Wasn't making fun, it was a serious question. 

Quoting Alliemad_003:

I wish people understood these things before making fun of southerners...lol

Quoting FoxFire363:

Well, for one, there are the people who don't know how to drive in it. Then there is the issue that in some cases even major metropolitan areas aren't prepared to properly sand and salt the roads, much less all the small towns and smaller cities. A few years ago we got 13 inches of snow and it shut the city down because they simply didn't have enough plows. Yesterday we had ice and there were tons of wrecks between the drivers and lack of salt/sand. This year our supplies of those items were depleted due to vandalism which added to the issue.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

What kind of problems does it cause?  Its just something that we are so used to that really we don't even blink an eye when we get ice storms or snow.  Is it that just most people down there don't know how to drive in the conditions? 

Quoting Okie-chick:

For Texas and that area,yes lol

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I wish we could get snow. : (
poshkat
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM
We went straight from summer to winter. No fall. Today was super super cold and started snowing around 3. The roads got slippery and they closed a few roads. They just started salting and sanding the roads. There were a few accidents one was a 7 car pileup that included a sheriff car.

I was told we might be getting a noreaster on tuesday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I live in the coastal bend. Just rain for us. I hate this weather! I left the east coast with the hopes of leaving these temps behind along with my ex.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)