Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone else have a 7yo in diapers?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our 7yo DD still wets the bed every night.  A couple months ago we went back to diapers, because goodnites were leaking too often - and what's the point of them if you still have to wash the sheets?  She didn't really like it at first, but doesn't mind now since she realized that waking up in a dry bed is much better than waking up in a leaking pull-up.

Is anyone else still putting a diaper on their older child?

by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Replies (51-60):
smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM

They help a bit with the laundry, but you still have to wash pjs and some of the sheets, so we never tried them for long.  She didn't like the way they felt either.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Sometimes. But he's usually ok. Have you tried the Goodnights Bed Mats? They should help in case of leaks.

Quoting smiller8008:

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

My oldest is 6 & wears Pull Ups at night. He is a very heavy sleeper and just doesn't wake up to go. Our pediatrician said it's actually not that uncommon and is normal until about age 8.

Do they ever leak?  DD sleeps like a log, so I'm sure that's part of it.  She was in pull-ups until recently, but we had lots of problems with leaks, which forunately we haven't had with diapers.

quinnsmom715
by Donna on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM

my son was 6 when he was finally potty trained,then again,hes autistic so different situation..

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

She's not in them 24/7 - just from when she gets ready for bed until the morning.  And she's pretty small, so pampers still fit fine - I've looked online for "medical" diapers and they just seem like a larger, more expensive version of pampers that might not fit as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is she in them 24/7?  I would have her in panties during the day and diapers at night if she is only bedwetting.  Also medical supply places have diapers for older children who phase out of pampers / otc diapers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My son will be 13 in a few months and he wets the bed sometimes, he doesn't wear diapers. We have tried EVERYTHING POSSIBLE even used medications (2 kinds) and nothing worked, his doctor ran tests as well, she told us we would have to wait it out. You do whatever you need to do and don't feel bad when someone says it's not normal. GL.
smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I hope she's dry by the time she's in college.  We don't want to use medication now because she's only 7, but certainly by the time she's a teenager we'd consider it.

Quoting Anonymous:

My niece has that problem. She's in college, and that hormone you are speaking of still never switched on. She is on medication at night for it when she has company or is staying a someone else's house. Otherwise, she still uses bed pads and other preventive measures just in case as long as no one is over. I'm not sure why she doesn't take the medicine every night.

Quoting orchardmoma:

Actually it can be normal at that age. I would take her to the ped, just to make sure nothing medical is wrong. Our brain has a hormone, kinda like a switch that gets turned on at a certain age. You know how as adults we wake up from deep sleep because our brain tells us that our bladder needs to be emptied? Well in children that Hormone or switch turns on at different times. My son stopped wetting when he was 9. My youngest son never wet the bed from the moment he was potty trained at 2. I suggest you talk to your child and ask her to pay very close attention to her body signals, she just might be missing it. Don't ever shame her (I'm sure you don't) and be patient..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

My 6 and half year old wears overnights.  His Dr said it was normal for some kids.  

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Sorry, I should have specified, I meant in addition to the diapers. But yeah, if she's not liking them that's not going to work. I think it's just something that kids do at their own pace. We can just hope they master it sooner rather than later right? :-)

Quoting smiller8008:

They help a bit with the laundry, but you still have to wash pjs and some of the sheets, so we never tried them for long.  She didn't like the way they felt either.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Sometimes. But he's usually ok. Have you tried the Goodnights Bed Mats? They should help in case of leaks.

Quoting smiller8008:

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

My oldest is 6 & wears Pull Ups at night. He is a very heavy sleeper and just doesn't wake up to go. Our pediatrician said it's actually not that uncommon and is normal until about age 8.

Do they ever leak?  DD sleeps like a log, so I'm sure that's part of it.  She was in pull-ups until recently, but we had lots of problems with leaks, which forunately we haven't had with diapers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM

diaper no - but our 6 yo  still wets at night a lot of the time so he wears a pull up or something at night

We've checked with our pediatrician and there's nothing wrong with him - he just is THAT heavy of a sleeper. 

jtessen
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Cut the child off from fluids before bed time.  With my boys I had to get up in the middle of the night, wake them and make them pee.  It sucked for me big time, but eventually they got used to getting up and started doing it themselves. Good luck

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Our doctor has mentioned the medication, but doesn't want to prescribe it until she's a little older.  It's not that big of a deal yet since sleepovers aren't a big deal yet - but if they were we might consider it.  We've tried limiting fluids, but found it didn't really help that much, so don't worry if she wants a glass of water before bed now, although we do make sure she pees before going to bed.

Quoting Anonymous:

My almost 10dd wears pull up. I have not read other replies I generally get upset The lack of education on this topic. We are currently being seen by one of the best bed wetting clinics on the west coast unfortunately there's nothing they can actually do. Most of the time it is a hormone deficiency. The kiddos lack ADH hormone or it is weak. ADH shuts off the body from producing urine at night. Most of the time it will become functional around puberty. BTW withholding liquids can actually make the problem worse long term. There is a synthetic form of the hormone available that kids can use for things like sleepovers so they do not feel embarrassed. It does have a lot of possible side effects and it cannot be used for more than a few months at a time. It's kind of expensive but you should ask your doctor about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)