Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone else have a 7yo in diapers?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our 7yo DD still wets the bed every night.  A couple months ago we went back to diapers, because goodnites were leaking too often - and what's the point of them if you still have to wash the sheets?  She didn't really like it at first, but doesn't mind now since she realized that waking up in a dry bed is much better than waking up in a leaking pull-up.

Is anyone else still putting a diaper on their older child?

by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Replies (61-70):
ARACMOM
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My 5 year-old is in pullups at night. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
This is actually really really bad advice. Withholding liquids and waking up can further dely the production of ADH hormone and in the long run cause more harm. There is literally nothing a dr can do besides give the med DDAVP which come with a host of huge side effects

Quoting Anonymous:

sounds like a medical issue that her doctor is ignoring. sorry but its not normal for a 7 year old to pee the bed every night. cut off drinks and food by a certain time at night. if you have to, wake her up every few hours to go pee. shes going to be made fun of by her friends.

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM

My son is 5... and still wets the bed every night (well, not his bed, his pull up)... it doesn't seem like it's going to end anytime soon, and I fully expect he very well may be in diapers for bed at 7. We've talked about it with his pediatrician... and they said it's fairly common, especially if there is a family history... which there is... DH wet the bed intermittently until he was about 12 years old (they ended up putting him on a medication to make it stop) 

With my son... he is such a deep sleeper, he doesn't wake when he needs to go... a bomb could seriously go off and he would sleep though it!  We have he use the bathroom before bed and stop drinking after dinner like everyone suggests... it doesn't help.  We've even tried getting him up and put him on the toilet (while he was sleeping, because like I said, he won't wake)... and he will still wet. 

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I hope so - until then, I guess I just keep putting a diaper on her.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Sorry, I should have specified, I meant in addition to the diapers. But yeah, if she's not liking them that's not going to work. I think it's just something that kids do at their own pace. We can just hope they master it sooner rather than later right? :-)

Quoting smiller8008:

They help a bit with the laundry, but you still have to wash pjs and some of the sheets, so we never tried them for long.  She didn't like the way they felt either.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Sometimes. But he's usually ok. Have you tried the Goodnights Bed Mats? They should help in case of leaks.

Quoting smiller8008:

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

My oldest is 6 & wears Pull Ups at night. He is a very heavy sleeper and just doesn't wake up to go. Our pediatrician said it's actually not that uncommon and is normal until about age 8.

Do they ever leak?  DD sleeps like a log, so I'm sure that's part of it.  She was in pull-ups until recently, but we had lots of problems with leaks, which forunately we haven't had with diapers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
My dd goes on sleepovers. We have had no issues. I make sure the parent is on board and knows of the issue ( my dd doesn't know the parent knows) they will make sure she has a private place to change. We select night clothes you can't see the pull up in. In the morning she changes back puts her pull up in her bag and I come very early to get her stuff saying I need to do laundry. We have been doing this for almost 3 years and no one knows

Quoting smiller8008:

Our doctor has mentioned the medication, but doesn't want to prescribe it until she's a little older.  It's not that big of a deal yet since sleepovers aren't a big deal yet - but if they were we might consider it.  We've tried limiting fluids, but found it didn't really help that much, so don't worry if she wants a glass of water before bed now, although we do make sure she pees before going to bed.

Quoting Anonymous:

My almost 10dd wears pull up. I have not read other replies I generally get upset The lack of education on this topic. We are currently being seen by one of the best bed wetting clinics on the west coast unfortunately there's nothing they can actually do. Most of the time it is a hormone deficiency. The kiddos lack ADH hormone or it is weak. ADH shuts off the body from producing urine at night. Most of the time it will become functional around puberty. BTW withholding liquids can actually make the problem worse long term. There is a synthetic form of the hormone available that kids can use for things like sleepovers so they do not feel embarrassed. It does have a lot of possible side effects and it cannot be used for more than a few months at a time. It's kind of expensive but you should ask your doctor about it

Lydlou02
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Mine is 8 & wears underjams day & night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM

That sounds like a good strategy - I'll have to remember that for when sleepvoers become a thing.  I'm not sure how we'd deal with a diaper, though, since she can't put it on herself - oh well, worry about that later when the time comes.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd goes on sleepovers. We have had no issues. I make sure the parent is on board and knows of the issue ( my dd doesn't know the parent knows) they will make sure she has a private place to change. We select night clothes you can't see the pull up in. In the morning she changes back puts her pull up in her bag and I come very early to get her stuff saying I need to do laundry. We have been doing this for almost 3 years and no one knows

Quoting smiller8008:

Our doctor has mentioned the medication, but doesn't want to prescribe it until she's a little older.  It's not that big of a deal yet since sleepovers aren't a big deal yet - but if they were we might consider it.  We've tried limiting fluids, but found it didn't really help that much, so don't worry if she wants a glass of water before bed now, although we do make sure she pees before going to bed.

Quoting Anonymous:

My almost 10dd wears pull up. I have not read other replies I generally get upset The lack of education on this topic. We are currently being seen by one of the best bed wetting clinics on the west coast unfortunately there's nothing they can actually do. Most of the time it is a hormone deficiency. The kiddos lack ADH hormone or it is weak. ADH shuts off the body from producing urine at night. Most of the time it will become functional around puberty. BTW withholding liquids can actually make the problem worse long term. There is a synthetic form of the hormone available that kids can use for things like sleepovers so they do not feel embarrassed. It does have a lot of possible side effects and it cannot be used for more than a few months at a time. It's kind of expensive but you should ask your doctor about it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM

SD is 12 and still has bed wetting issues.  we did good nites for a while.  but he's been doing his own sheets since he was 8.   medicine helped for a little bit, but we've had better luck with eating earlier, drinking less and waking him up to go to the bathroom.  he's finally waking up on his own.   if i'm not mistaken, his bio father had a similar problem.  we have  a vinyl protector on the mattress and extra sheets.  he has to put wet sheets and clothes in the wash first thing.  idk what else to do. we just moved and haven't got a new pediatrician yet.  maybe i'll get some real answers once we do.  the only thing the old one could tell me was that his bladder was slightly small for his age. 

smiller8008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Why during the day?

Quoting Lydlou02:

Mine is 8 & wears underjams day & night.

elevator_chaos
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

That sounds exhausting. I'm sorry Momma.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)