Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To discipline vs. ONLY doing natural consequences? UPDATE!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM
  • 163 Replies
2 moms liked this

(((( For those who don't know....Natural Consequences (one way) is giving advice to the child and allowing them to use it or not. If they don't they suffer whatever happens. EXAMPLE: Its cold, you suggest a coat to wear, but if they decide to go out without one, when they get cold in a few seconds, they can come back in and get it. They learned something didn't they.,, to follow what you said. BUT you didn't make them.

DONT confuse this with logical consequences which is a "disciplinary action that fits the crime" )))))))

Every choice your child makes is a positive or a negative consequence that will impact their lives forever. It may not seem that way, but even the smallest thing as sitting with the family to eat breakfast or sitting alone on the stairs while they munch on donuts  that morning, will be a decision to better or worsen themselves. (Example The Butterfly Effect... the movie not really the theory).

One parenting expert said "Many teens reach their adult years having no clue on how to make decisions. They "know better" ,but still make bad choices.The reason is many of those foolish chooses are the real first choices they had ever made!"

With that said, I want my kids to make the stupid mistakes now when the "price is cheap" rather then when they are adults with no true guide and " when the price is a lot".

However, how far is too far? At what age do you start this 100%  discovery?

Once again, we are only talking about Natural consequences ONLY !

UPDATE!!!!!!!! The Psychology Theories, like Eric Erickson and Lawrence Kohlrabies, are only based on the children that are not solo doing Radical Parenting ( only natural consequences). Since the 70's, the parents who did do ONLY Radical Parenting notice that their children were not the norm of those psychological theorist. They reached mild-stones far quicker and easier ( like stage 4 in kohlrabies theory of moral development) For this conversation go to page 13!

by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Im not following meow....

shoeshoegirl12
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Natural Consequences (one way) is giving advice to the child and allowing them to use it or not. If they don't they suffer whatever happens. EXAMPLE: Its cold, you suggest a coat to wear, but if they decide to go out without one, when they get cold in a few seconds, they can come back in and get it. They learned something didn't they.,, to follow what you said. BUT you didn't make them.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I was lost also, lol

BUT I guess I invented this without knowing it, lol

I have been doing this for  Decades......literally, lol

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

Natural Consequences (one way) is giving advice to the child and allowing them to use it or not. If they don't they suffer whatever happens. EXAMPLE: Its cold, you suggest a coat to wear, but if they decide to go out without one, when they get cold in a few seconds, they can come back in and get it. They learned something didn't they.,, to follow what you said. BUT you didn't make them.

Quoting thetrollcat:

IF this is your first time on Cm LEAVE NO pic

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:33 AM
We are strong believers in natural consequences. The school they attend also uses that system. One of the examples the school uses is packed lunches. It is the responsibility of the student to remember. Parents aren't allowed to come back with it later. If the parents bring it anyway, they are told thank you and the lunch is kept in the office.

ETA: Since people don't use common sense. The children are able to make something for themselves to eat from the kitchen. The school doesn't starve the kids. LOL
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this
We use the Love & Logic books to teach natural consequences.
Nynnie
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM

If my son wanted out in the cold in a hurry he would go out with no coat. He would get cold, but he wouldn't be going back in for that coat.

shoeshoegirl12
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Do you ONLY do natural consequences? I mean by : You don't make them eat at the dinner table, brush their teeth, go to bed at a certain time, go to church/religious practices?

Quoting Sassy762:

I was lost also, lol

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

Quoting thetrollcat:

shoeshoegirl12
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Why not?

Quoting Nynnie:

If my son wanted out in the cold in a hurry he would go out with no coat. He would get cold, but he wouldn't be going back in for that coat.

wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM

i let my 2-year-old learn from natural consequences. i tell her that knob turns the water hot. she doesnt believe me. she will in a second! i tell her that if she throws her cup down behind the couch [where she cant get behind] that its going to be stuck there. she doesnt believe me then, but she was pretty upset when she found out i was telling the truth!

she is the queen of natural consequences. and ive noticed that it has made her a pretty observant, aware little toddler. she still puts rolls of toilet paper in the toilet [she doesnt care about toilet paper.. but she isnt allowed to be in the bathroom by herself anymore or touch the toilet paper, and thats punishment enough], but she is never putting her toothbrush down the drain again! 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I guess I didn't invent it then.....DAMNNNN

I remind them to brush their teeth sometimes, and sometimes they do it on their own. They can eat in the kitchen or in the dining room, I dontt care as long as they eat omething. During the school week thay are in bed by 8:00 but on weekends they can stay up later

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

Do you ONLY do natural consequences? I mean by : You don't make them eat at the dinner table, brush their teeth, go to bed at a certain time, go to church/religious practices?

Quoting Sassy762:

I was lost also, lol

Quoting shoeshoegirl12:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)