Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Opposite Disability...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
I am classed as 'disabled' due to a learning 'disability'. It's not really a disability. I learn too easily, I absorb too well and in elementary school I felt too far ahead of the other students. Because of the 'disabled' word hanging over my head, I was then put into the special needs unit, which was 10x worse, because I wasn't slow, I was too fast but a bit socially awkward.

I hated school. Always feeling like I had to hold myself back so the teachers could cope. No one helped me with my 'opposite disability'. The slower kids were helped, I wasn't.

So as a parent, if this was happening to your child, what would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Bump
Krysta784
by Dani on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Homeschool or private school. And I did. My kids attend a private school and my dd will likely skip a grade next year.
Schauseil
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM
4 moms liked this
I call bullshit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I'm glad you did something about it.

Quoting Krysta784:

Homeschool or private school. And I did. My kids attend a private school and my dd will likely skip a grade next year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Bullshit on what? The fact that life isn't perfect and that people get disrespected even when they are doing the right thing?

Quoting Schauseil:

I call bullshit.

Schauseil
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
No, on the fact that the OP is full of shit. If she was smart like she claims, she would have been labled as gifted. Not places with disabled ppl.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bullshit on what? The fact that life isn't perfect and that people get disrespected even when they are doing the right thing?

Quoting Schauseil:

I call bullshit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM
'Gifted' is classed as disabled. Most people who are gifted have a multitude of mental disabilities.

Quoting Schauseil:

No, on the fact that the OP is full of shit. If she was smart like she claims, she would have been labled as gifted. Not places with disabled ppl.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schauseil:

I call bullshit.

Schauseil
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Ok, they may have other issues, but they are still considered intellectually gifted and not placed with retartds and disabled kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

'Gifted' is classed as disabled. Most people who are gifted have a multitude of mental disabilities.

Quoting Schauseil:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schauseil:

I call bullshit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Not in the public schools where I am sadly.

Quoting Schauseil:

Ok, they may have other issues, but they are still considered intellectually gifted and not placed with retartds and disabled kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schauseil:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schauseil:

I call bullshit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM
*gasps* you used the R word!!!!

Quoting Schauseil:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schauseil:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schauseil:

I call bullshit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)