Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tame your kids during church services PLEASE!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 478 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you one of THOSE parents who let their kids be loud at church?

Options:

No, I'd never do that. I'd remove my child from the services.

Yes I am. Shove it. My kids have a right to be there too.

Kinda in the middle. I let them be somewhat loud but if it gets out of hand, I remove them from the service.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 471

View Results

Vent ahead:

I'm an LDS convert and I must say, I've never frequented this noisy of a church in my entire life. Being a convert from the baptist religion, there is nursery during church hours. Since LDS members go to church for three hours each sunday, the nursery only will watch kids  for 2/3 of that time.

There was a really wonderful speaker today in Sacrament and I'd have liked to hear what he had to say but the mom sitting behind me had three loud kids, I'd say around ages 3, 4 and 5. They had out race cars and were loudly crashing the cars into each other while making loud race car sounds like, "BOOM" and "VROOOOOM" and "GOTCHA!". I thought it would be rude to accost her children, so I turned around and looked at her kids and then gave her a half smile. 

She still let them continue to go on and on. Other members were glaring at her, putting their faces in their palms, etc. I would have taken my kids out in the hallway for a snack or to play with their toys there.

Some of us would love to hear the speakers in church. It's important to us. Are you one of these parents? Why would you disrespect the rest of the congregation by letting your kids go nuts like that?

by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
11 moms liked this
I would take them out, but your church really should offer childcare for the entire service or have a cry room.
fluffball80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I would try to quiet DD down first but if it continued then I would take her out.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM
6 moms liked this
If so many people get upset about little kids sitting through an hour or longer service without making noise is asking a lot if you ask me. Your church should offer daycare for the whole service or cut service hours down. I don't get bothered by other people's children making loud noises.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
19 moms liked this

I'm so glad I don't go to your church. We're in services for 3 hours as well but we love to hear the sound of children playing. Even when the kids get fussy or cry, everyone looks back and smiles or gives the parents the "we know what it's like, you're ok" look. Kids are kids and the best way to teach them is to let them experience it and if the adults can't handle that, maybe they need to be the ones shunted off to another room. Stuffy grown ups - Yuck.

(Mom of 5, I'm always complimented on my older children - 14, 13 - behavior at services and told our younger children - 7, 3 and 1 - are doing great learning to behave in services)

countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Our church has children's church so its never an issue. However this happened in our church yoday and people were annoyed. The little boy was around 5 or so and he was whiny and bored. I had never saw this family before so possibly they were new and didn't know about the kids church. I just know he was driving me crazy with his whining.
Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I couldn't answer, my kids are in Sunday school during church service. 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
10 moms liked this

Glad I don't go to your church... Glaring at another member during the service... You coming online judging her choices... Yeah no thank you. 

PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Kids are not required to be silent during our prayers but they do offer a playroom if the mom's want to put the more active children. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM
3 moms liked this

The sound of children during the sermon is the sound of a healthy church.

But yeah, I always made my kids put a sock in it.

maryroses
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM

i didn't answer the poll because my kids go to children's church, but if they did go to the service with me I would not allow them to be loud.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)