Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Baby showers for EVERY baby? ****EDIT****

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 756 Replies
5 moms liked this

I live in the Northeast. Where I live, we ONLY have baby showers for our first baby. I have never known anyone in my family or any of my friends to have a shower for their second or third, etc. baby. We don't do showers even if the baby is a different gender than our first, or if we have multiples, or if it's been several years since we had our last baby.

So I wonder, is this regional? Where do you live (generic state would be fine) and do you have baby showers for every baby?

I tend to think maybe it is a Northern thing. My best friend was born and raised in Georgia and she offered to throw me a baby shower for this last baby. I declined because we just don't do that here. So maybe her being born and raised in the South was the difference?

Tell me your thoughts.

I'm seeing a lot of the same comments....every baby deserves to be celebrated seems to be the most prevalent. That's absolutely true. However, that doesn't need to happen with a gift grab! A smaller party after the baby is born where gifts are not required is fine. The smaller "sprinkle" seems appropriate as well. Celebrating every baby doesn't mean gifts and an over the top party. It's rude and entitled to assume that relatives and friends want to buy you big ticket items and quite frankly, makes it seem like you can't afford your child. If they WANT to buy you stuff, great. If they don't, they aren't REQUIRED to, just because you think your second (or fifth) baby deserves something new.

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcoll
by Brandi on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM
3 moms liked this

I am also Northeast(Boston)and only had a shower the first time around. I don't know anyone who has had more than one.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

BUMP!

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

=) 

Quoting bcoll:

I am also Northeast(Boston)and only had a shower the first time around. I don't know anyone who has had more than one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:00 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm in the northeast and have only seen more than one shower when the babies were born several years apart...OR if the family is one of those that can't support the kids they have but keep popping em out and expecting hand outs from everyone. (I don't know these people personally but know people who do or have witnessed it on fb lol)
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM
6 moms liked this
I live in Delaware. Some say north east, some say mid Atlantic.
My family does a shower for every baby.
And DHs culture does one after baby for every baby (Palestinian)

I didn't have one for my second though because he was one day old in the hospital the day of the party! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brysonsmommy_10
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM
3 moms liked this
I am from Georgia and we have baby showers for the second baby if it is a different gender or if there have been several years between babies.
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM

There seems to be a up and coming trend in this area (not in my immediate social circle) that babies born several years after the last one (like 5+) means that a shower is okay. As if we forgot that you had a baby 5 years or more ago.

The only time I hear about people having showers for babies they can't afford is on here.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm in the northeast and have only seen more than one shower when the babies were born several years apart...OR if the family is one of those that can't support the kids they have but keep popping em out and expecting hand outs from everyone. (I don't know these people personally but know people who do or have witnessed it on fb lol)

Teeshann
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I am in idaho and grew up seeing ppl have showers for every baby. I only had one with my first cuz I lived far from family with the other 2.
axy
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I had a shower for my first and third. It was special circumstances though, i had just gotten in touch with my biological family (i was adopted as a baby) so i threw my own shower for them to attend. This was my first child they were around for. Otherwise i would have had just the one cause putting that together was a pain in the ass!!
I live in tx
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in Pennsylvania and both of my sisters had multiple showers.  My older sisters son was 7 when their daughter was born--she had given all of her baby items away thinking they wouldn't have any more.  So I threw her a shower.  My younger sisters son was 5 when her daughter was born--same situation so my older sister and I threw her a shower.

My son had a "welcome baby" party and should we have a second child regardless of gender we'd have another.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)