Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Baby showers for EVERY baby? ****EDIT****

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in the Northeast. Where I live, we ONLY have baby showers for our first baby. I have never known anyone in my family or any of my friends to have a shower for their second or third, etc. baby. We don't do showers even if the baby is a different gender than our first, or if we have multiples, or if it's been several years since we had our last baby.

So I wonder, is this regional? Where do you live (generic state would be fine) and do you have baby showers for every baby?

I tend to think maybe it is a Northern thing. My best friend was born and raised in Georgia and she offered to throw me a baby shower for this last baby. I declined because we just don't do that here. So maybe her being born and raised in the South was the difference?

Tell me your thoughts.

I'm seeing a lot of the same comments....every baby deserves to be celebrated seems to be the most prevalent. That's absolutely true. However, that doesn't need to happen with a gift grab! A smaller party after the baby is born where gifts are not required is fine. The smaller "sprinkle" seems appropriate as well. Celebrating every baby doesn't mean gifts and an over the top party. It's rude and entitled to assume that relatives and friends want to buy you big ticket items and quite frankly, makes it seem like you can't afford your child. If they WANT to buy you stuff, great. If they don't, they aren't REQUIRED to, just because you think your second (or fifth) baby deserves something new.

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I am in the south and 2nd, 3rd, etc. showers are gaining popularity around here unfortunately. It is ridiculous.
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Yes, I have seen multiple showers for the first baby. I didn't mention that. It seems reasonable if you family has one and then your work friends have one.  

Quoting KikiB85:

Jersey. I had 2 showers for my first. (Work and then family) and didn't have any for my 2nds. 7yrs later im having my 3rd. Im not due till feb but im pretty sure no ones throwing me one.

Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I dread the day showers for every baby becomes the norm. I won't be attending unless there is an extreme circumstance.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I am in the south and 2nd, 3rd, etc. showers are gaining popularity around here unfortunately. It is ridiculous.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM
3 moms liked this
Mexicans find any reason to party, so every baby gets a shower! lmao
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM
5 moms liked this
I think all babies should be celebrated. If momma wants a shower, cool!
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Same here, but when my friend offered for my third baby, I wondered if she was used to it down in Georgia. 

Quoting lapcounter:

In my social circle you only have one for the first and that's it. Never heard of having showers for every kid you pop out until here.

kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm from NY and I've never known people to have more than one shower.  We did all gender neutral stuff for our first for that reason.  If we have a second then s/he will be perfectly set because of hand-me-downs.

lunyuny
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I had one for each.  Family threw the first.  Co-workers threw the 2nd and 3rd.

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this
South and every baby gets a shower.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in the northeast as well. I've only had one baby shower but I've been to 4 baby showers for one person. All girls, all 2-3 years apart. Never understood that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)