Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thanksgiving Etiquette Vent...

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 136 Replies
1 mom liked this

My MIL called today and was telling me about her prep for hosting T'giving dinner for their large Italian family in Naples, Florida...we're in the Northeast and are not joining them this year.  She was on her way home from Costco where she bought "quality paper plates" to use for dinner.  I almost dropped my phone, who uses paper plates for Thanksgiving??  It's the one holiday of the year where the food is the star.  Money is not the issue and she has several (including holiday) china patterns.  And she has two dishwashers.  Sure it might make clean up easier but how totally wrong wrong wrong!  I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM
3 moms liked this

whatever floats her boat.   I don't blame her for wanting to use paper since it will be easier for her to clean up seeing as she will most likely be the one who cleans up afterwards. 

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We use fall themed plastic plates, and plastic silverware. :p

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I use paper plates on thanksgiving. I do not waste my time washing dishes when I could be spending time with my family.
katarina666
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I get pretty Thanksgiving themed paper plates sometime's. Who wants to wash a huge frigen load of dishe's with a large family. That just takes away from family time. Unless your talking the woman sequestered in the kitchen like good little female slaves..

NBean311
by Chivette on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanksgiving produces a lot of dishes. I don't blame her for wanting to eliminate some. She isn't making people eat off the floor! Not that big a deal! 

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Who cares. We are using paper for the kids. Less dishes.
elfling811
by Niki on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM
We use all disposable stuff for holidays. Much easier than washing dishes for hours.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Who cares? Have you ever hosted a large gathering? It is a lot of work. And then you have the dishes you have the dishes to deal with. Good for her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't be such a snob, you're not even going to be there for crying out loud!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I might have two degrees and be relatively educated, but apparently I have no class. I think using paper plates for a large gathering, even Thanksgiving, is perfectly acceptable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN