Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help! The doctors won't listen!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 83 Replies
***There are no children's hospitals near us.***
My son has stopped eating. He's always been a really good eater until about a month ago when his cold started. He had green boogers which mean there's an infection. One day he acted like he had an ear infection. He grabbed at his ears and said "ouch". He even felt hot and looked sick. I took him to the doctor and she said he's fine. He might have a cold starting but his ears look good.

Last week he was taking a nap and grabbed his ear (completely asleep) and started crying and saying "ow". Another trip to the doctor (different doctor) the same results. All the doctors did was check his ears, his throat and his breathing. Same exact result: cold might be starting, ears look good, he's not sick enough for medicine yet.

Well... It's been over a month since this cold started. My son hasn't eaten more than a quarter of what he normally eats in several weeks. My son won't even eat his favorite foods. All he will eat now is bland foods like crackers and toast.

I've been giving him Pediasure to make up for what he doesn't eat. If he does it he will usually throw it back up if he swallows it. We thought he was eating too fast and choking but we watched closer and he swallows it and vomits it back up. He can eat the amount of three crackers before he pukes it up.

Because of this damn oil boom the doctors don't have time for us. They try to get everyone in as fast as possible and out the same way. They won't look farther than what they can see with their eye. In and out of the office in 5 minutes. Ridiculous. Im so frustrated. I made one more appointment with our regular family doctor. The 10th of December is the earliest we got in. This is why we went to the faster clinics first. I really don't know if I want to push it two more weeks.

Something is wrong with my son. I've been his mother long enough to know when my gut is screaming something is wrong. This isn't a case of a picky eater. This isn't just him not being hungry. I'm not going to stop making doctors appointments until they run some tests and give me a better answer and have more concern than they've shown. He's sick. I can see it in his eyes everyday. I'm not making this up. Something is wrong. I wouldn't waste our time sitting in a waiting room for nothing. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Gosh. Idk what it could be. But here's a Bump for you.
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM
And one more for good luck.
angelic.zombie
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry mama. It sucks when you can get anyone to listen too you. Could you go to an out of town urgent care or ER? Maybe they would pay more attention than just trying to ship you out the door.
kidkrazyinAK
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Between now and the appointment, keep a very detailed log. Every bite of food, every time he throws up, sleep habits, everything....they can't ignore you as easily if you have long term details.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Go to a different doctor.
Charlie557
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It is possible that sinus pressure could be the cause for the ear pain. However the vomiting is something I would be pushing to get some answers for. Good luck to you and big hugs.

JC2223
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM
8 moms liked this

At this point, since he's been sick for a month and not holding down foods, I'd take him to the ER.

rvb146
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Thank you!

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

And one more for good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noturavemom
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

thats pathetic (the doctor not you) my daughters pedi is so frigan awesome,shhe takes ALL my concerns seriously even if im being nutty,not that you are, their defintely sounds like hes sick,im not an antibiotic pusher by no means ,but if he had an ordinary cold it would have been better in 3-7 says

Scissorhappy798
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I would take him to the hospital!! You know your son!! Maybe it's a food allergy?... What ever it is you need some answers!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN