Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What are your parenting styles?

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 26 Replies
I have this friend who is like a sister to me. But her parenting choices/style really annoys me. I know she means well but her son is going to end up fat by the time he is 5. He is 3 now. I don't know how healthy they eat since we don't live in the same state anymore. But everytime she tells me what they had for lunch or dinner or send me a pic of what he is having for a snack, its never healthy. Like just tonight she sent me a pic of him eating 2 twinkies at one time. She has also let him have a 10 piece nugget, fries and a large soda from mcdonalds because he is hungry and loves it. Now, I am all for letting a 3 year old a piece of candy or some cake or ice cream, or even a little debbie snack for dessert. I have a 3 year old she gets junk food and soda on occasion. Its not a daily thing. And my friend also lets her son call her names like dumb bum. My daughter is never allowed to speak to me like that and gets in trouble if she does. Sry i guess its more of a vent because i am shocked at what my friend lets her kid eat and say.
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I cant even finish a large soda
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

The Four Types of Parenting Styles

Thumbnail image for MomDadand-Baby.jpg
Parents are a huge part of a child's life. However they act, whatever they say, anything that they do largely impacts a child's development from the moment they are born. According to psychologist Diana Baumrind's research, she found that there are four types of parenting styles (Parenting Styles in Psychology, Brittany Olivarez). Through naturalistic observation, parenting interviews, and other research methods, Baumrind identified the following four parenting styles:

• Authoritative: democratic style of parenting, parents are attentive, forgiving, teach their offspring proper behavior, have a set of rules, and if child fails to follow their is punishment, if followed their is reward/reinforcement

• Authoritarian: strict parenting style, involves high expectations from parents but have little communication between child and parents. Parents don't provide logical reasoning for rules and limits, and are prone to harsh punishments
  • Permissive: parents take on the role of "friends" rather than parents, do not have any expectations of child, they allow the child to make their own decisions
  • Uninvolved: parents neglect their child by putting their own life before the child's. They do provide for the child's basic needs but they show little interaction with the child

Each of these different parenting styles impacts and influences the development of child. Through Baumrind's observations she found that the most ideal and balanced style that leads to the child being mature, independent, and socially responsible is the Authoritative style (Parenting Styles in Psychology,Olivarez) Baumrind also found that the style commonly leads to children becoming delinquents is the Uninvolved style because of the lack of parenting, affection, and care from the parent leads the child to act out badly for attention (Parenting Styles in Psychology, Olivarez).

Parenting is a large impact in a child's life and development. Most families have a blend of two or more of these parenting types because the mother and father tend to differ when it comes to parenting a child. What we know is that a healthy development leads a child to succeed not only in developing as a person but building a stronger bond to their parents.

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I barely can

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM
My friend is definitely permissive

Quoting Sassy762:

Parents are a huge part of a child's life. However they act, whatever they say, anything that they do largely impacts a child's development from the moment they are born. According to psychologist Diana Baumrind's research, she found that there are four types of parenting styles (Parenting Styles in Psychology, Brittany Olivarez). Through naturalistic observation, parenting interviews, and other research methods, Baumrind identified the following four parenting styles:

• Authoritative: democratic style of parenting, parents are attentive, forgiving, teach their offspring proper behavior, have a set of rules, and if child fails to follow their is punishment, if followed their is reward/reinforcement

• Authoritarian: strict parenting style, involves high expectations from parents but have little communication between child and parents. Parents don't provide logical reasoning for rules and limits, and are prone to harsh punishments
  • Permissive: parents take on the role of "friends" rather than parents, do not have any expectations of child, they allow the child to make their own decisions
  • Uninvolved: parents neglect their child by putting their own life before the child's. They do provide for the child's basic needs but they show little interaction with the child

Each of these different parenting styles impacts and influences the development of child. Through Baumrind's observations she found that the most ideal and balanced style that leads to the child being mature, independent, and socially responsible is the Authoritative style (Parenting Styles in Psychology,Olivarez) Baumrind also found that the style commonly leads to children becoming delinquents is the Uninvolved style because of the lack of parenting, affection, and care from the parent leads the child to act out badly for attention (Parenting Styles in Psychology, Olivarez).

Parenting is a large impact in a child's life and development. Most families have a blend of two or more of these parenting types because the mother and father tend to differ when it comes to parenting a child. What we know is that a healthy development leads a child to succeed not only in developing as a person but building a stronger bond to their parents.

Mommysmadae
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I am authoritative.

I also believe in letting my child suffer the consequences of their actions. Example my daughter in 7th grade decided she didn't want to do her school work. We fought about it forever and finally I let it go and told her you know what you aren't hurting me only yourself so suffer when your friends move on and you don't. Well by the 3rd nine weeks guidance was calling to inform me she was endanger of failing I told them I know but she refuses and I refuse to argue anymore about it. Well after she found out about failing she got off her butt and started making straight A's. Now she is in the 9th grade and is an honor student. So sometimes letting your kids fail improves them far more than you riding their behinds constantly. 

Quoting Sassy762:

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I find myself to be more authoritative.

Quoting Sassy762:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I can polish off two very easily, LMAOOOOOO

Quoting armyvet06:

I barely can

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

2Gs
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Me too, though on my bad days I fall in the other categories. 

Quoting Sassy762:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Oh believe me...I have done a few "permissive" things in my day but It would always bite me in the ass.....twice. I try really hard not to and for the most part I am strictly "authoritative" but I am sure I lapse a wee bit at times, lol

Quoting 2Gs:

Quoting Sassy762:

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I am like you. I let some things slide

Quoting Sassy762:

Oh believe me...I have done a few "permissive" things in my day but It would always bite me in the ass.....twice. I try really hard not to and for the most part I am strictly "authoritative" but I am sure I lapse a wee bit at times, lol

Quoting 2Gs:

Quoting Sassy762:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN