Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 year old... Sexual Harassment?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
SS is 6 and started Kindergarten this fall.

A few weeks back, he was caught kissing a girl in class. No big deal. The teacher just explained that it is inappropriate at school with friends, but that high 5s or hugs are OK.

Anyways, DH and I both sat down with him and explained to him that these feelings are completely natural to have, and are nothing to be ashamed of. But with that said that Mrs. B was right, that this was just a little inappropriate for school.

More detail: he had been writing this girl love letters/drawings saying "I love ___" over and over." He told us he only likes that girl as a friend, which we were like it is ok if you like her either way, just be honest with others, (Golden rule) just like you would want them to be with you.

Anyways..

BM texts DH last night asking about a kissing situation with another girl, we did not know of.

She is flipping her shit, saying their son is not capable of doing things like this (who is she kidding.) And was saying that the girls parents are weird, it had to be the girl who did it because she is "very agressive."

She is saying that her and DH need to figure it out with SS because he can get charged with sexual harassment.... OK really? Sorry that is a bit off the deep end...

Also, these kids are all at "fault," SS is just as capable as these girls. He writes them love notes, they try to kiss him, or he tries to kiss them.

How would you deflate the situation if you were in DHs shoes?

DH is custodial parent having just over 50% custody. The split is just about every other week, he is with us a couple more days than BM.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Bump
Liastele
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM

At that age you just remind the child frequently to keep his mouth to himself. No kissing other kids. Hugs and high fives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
And we do.. They are all around 6 and going through changes that they don't understand.

DH is worried that BM is engraining in their sons head that these are BAD things.. when all he needs is understanding and guidance.. she has been freaking out about legal matters, saying he will get in trouble with the cops if he doesn't stop.

Though yes, kissing is inappropriate.. It isn't that type of offense, especially at this age.. they are all bound to 'explore,' but to head down a better path they need guidance, not scare tactics (these do not work on SS.)

Quoting Liastele:

At that age you just remind the child frequently to keep his mouth to himself. No kissing other kids. Hugs and high fives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Lol, thats not big deal. I mean yes its inappropriate, but it is natural. I remember kissing boys in first grade, we just throught it was funny, until we got caught and then we all thought it was gross and everyone had cooties. Its a normal thing kids do, but its inappropriate, and thats where parents come in and teach their child its inappropriate, which you guys did. You handled it well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Thanks.. We are just trying to not go over the deep end (I remember my parents doing that..)

BM doesn't understand this type of freakout over this will make him more likely to do it..

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol, thats not big deal. I mean yes its inappropriate, but it is natural. I remember kissing boys in first grade, we just throught it was funny, until we got caught and then we all thought it was gross and everyone had cooties. Its a normal thing kids do, but its inappropriate, and thats where parents come in and teach their child its inappropriate, which you guys did. You handled it well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured