Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently my daughter eats her peanut butter sandwich at the peanut free table every day....

Posted by   + Show Post
We walked by the lunch tables yesterday and my 5 year old said that's the table I eat at pointing to the table with a big peanut free sign taped to it. She generally takes a peanut butter and jelly daily....
My older daughter said there are just a few kids in the whole school k-12 that have peanut allergies and none in kinder and the table gets cleaned after every class eats but still shouldn't the peanut free table be kept peanut free???
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

It's going to be an uphill battle for these allergy laden kids when they have to go out in the real world, assuming mommy and daddy don't follow them everywhere letting the world know about their allergy.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:I couldn't agree more.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

The whole peanut allergy thing has become an experiment in social mass hysteria. 

Quoting Anonymous: Guess the kids with allergies aren't as allergic as mommy insists they are. I'm shocked!

I think so too. I actually think people want production of all nut butters and products banned, seriously, and  I bet they would like anyone who even thinks of eating anything with nuts, banned from schools. I read a post a while back from a woman who wanted the pine trees around her kid's school chopped down, because they had pine nuts that a kid could touch. It's fucking insane, and I think anyone who has a kid with that severe an allergy should be the one kept at home, and not expect everyone else to stop living.

Not every parent who had a child with severe food allergies goes to that extent. Yes, I expect my child to be able to sit at a nut-free table. However, he knows not to eat anything except for his lunch. It is obviously the parents job to educate their own child about their food allergies however you would think any normal person would understand how scary it is knowing a peanut butter cracker can kill their child. So if a parent does go overboard they are just scared and have every right to be. Obviously cutting point trees down is over kill but I think a nut free table isnt too much to ask.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I agree with you. An allergy free table at a school is not unreasonable. A school that's nut free is overkill. Asking to cut down trees or bushes, that's actually ccertifiable and just a tad bit entitled.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's going to be an uphill battle for these allergy laden kids when they have to go out in the real world, assuming mommy and daddy don't follow them everywhere letting the world know about their allergy.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:I couldn't agree more.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

The whole peanut allergy thing has become an experiment in social mass hysteria. 

Quoting Anonymous: Guess the kids with allergies aren't as allergic as mommy insists they are. I'm shocked!

I think so too. I actually think people want production of all nut butters and products banned, seriously, and  I bet they would like anyone who even thinks of eating anything with nuts, banned from schools. I read a post a while back from a woman who wanted the pine trees around her kid's school chopped down, because they had pine nuts that a kid could touch. It's fucking insane, and I think anyone who has a kid with that severe an allergy should be the one kept at home, and not expect everyone else to stop living.

Not every parent who had a child with severe food allergies goes to that extent. Yes, I expect my child to be able to sit at a nut-free table. However, he knows not to eat anything except for his lunch. It is obviously the parents job to educate their own child about their food allergies however you would think any normal person would understand how scary it is knowing a peanut butter cracker can kill their child. So if a parent does go overboard they are just scared and have every right to be. Obviously cutting point trees down is over kill but I think a nut free table isnt too much to ask.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this
No. My son deserves to socialize with other kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then homeschool

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Yes it should. As a parent who has a child with severely life threatening food allergies I would be pretty upset to find out it wasn't completely peanut free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

and those kids deserve to eat peanuts

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

No. My son deserves to socialize with other kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then homeschool

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Yes it should. As a parent who has a child with severely life threatening food allergies I would be pretty upset to find out it wasn't completely peanut free.

AlleyCat08
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Many foods have an odor, peanut butter is one of them. I know people who are sensitive to the smell as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? Airborne peanut butter. Maybe if its thrown, lol. 

Quoting amomynous_j:

peanut allergies can be "airborne" also.

personally, if i know there are any form of nut allergies at school, i don't send nuts period. 

the 3 schools i'm familiar with where i am are all nut-free. 

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Oh lord I didn't post this to start this crap I just thought it was odd that they have a table labeled peanut free but my peanut butter kid eats at it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then homeschool

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM
We use our peanut free table for normal kids during lunches without peanut allergic kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM
No, people are not allergic to the smell of peanut butter. What an asinine thing to say.

Quoting AlleyCat08:

Many foods have an odor, peanut butter is one of them. I know people who are sensitive to the smell as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? Airborne peanut butter. Maybe if its thrown, lol. 

Quoting amomynous_j:

peanut allergies can be "airborne" also.

personally, if i know there are any form of nut allergies at school, i don't send nuts period. 

the 3 schools i'm familiar with where i am are all nut-free. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

That happened to somebody I know.  First day of Kgtn, her kid sat at the peanut free table because she had a friend there.  She didn't start bringing peanut butter in her lunch right away and everybody just assumed she belonged there because she always sat there.  Nobody noticed when she started bringing peanut butter.

TotallyTweedles
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM
So after getting a letter stating that your son's class was peanut free you kept sending peanut butter?

Quoting Anonymous:

you would think so. my son took pb&j every day for the entire first month of school before the office sent home a letter saying "just a reminder, here are the classes that have been established as nut free" and his was on it. Um, so since i was never informed and nothing ever happened, i kept sending them. that was last year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN