Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently my daughter eats her peanut butter sandwich at the peanut free table every day....

Posted by   + Show Post
We walked by the lunch tables yesterday and my 5 year old said that's the table I eat at pointing to the table with a big peanut free sign taped to it. She generally takes a peanut butter and jelly daily....
My older daughter said there are just a few kids in the whole school k-12 that have peanut allergies and none in kinder and the table gets cleaned after every class eats but still shouldn't the peanut free table be kept peanut free???
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

yup. absolutely no reason their class should be nut free. there wasn't anybody in his class with a nut allergy. and nobody ever told me otherwise before or after that. wouldn't you think that if they wanted it to be nut free, they would've notified parents BEFORE school started? and this wasn't a "hey a new child moved in and we're making your class nut free" it was "hey by the way, in case you didn't know these classes are nut free". they didn't treat it like it was a big deal, so i didn't take it as a big deal.

Quoting TotallyTweedles:

So after getting a letter stating that your son's class was peanut free you kept sending peanut butter?

Quoting Anonymous:

you would think so. my son took pb&j every day for the entire first month of school before the office sent home a letter saying "just a reminder, here are the classes that have been established as nut free" and his was on it. Um, so since i was never informed and nothing ever happened, i kept sending them. that was last year.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM
3 moms liked this
And those kids can eat peanuts at home so my son doesn't die. My sons class is completely peanut/tree nut free and the kids and their parents have no issues with it.

How would you feel if your child was deathly allergic to peanuts/tree nuts? Would you isolate them? What would you do if your deathly allergic child died because a parent decided their child's love of PB & Js was more important?

Seriously I want to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

and those kids deserve to eat peanuts

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

No. My son deserves to socialize with other kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then homeschool

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Yes it should. As a parent who has a child with severely life threatening food allergies I would be pretty upset to find out it wasn't completely peanut free.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlleyCat08
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Let me know when you see someone with a breathing problem because of food allergy. I worked with someone who was allergic to chocolate, even the smell caused her problems. So yes, a smell can be an offense.
Same thing happens with my dh and his food allergies as well as my stepdaughter.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, people are not allergic to the smell of peanut butter. What an asinine thing to say.

Quoting AlleyCat08:

Many foods have an odor, peanut butter is one of them. I know people who are sensitive to the smell as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? Airborne peanut butter. Maybe if its thrown, lol. 

Quoting amomynous_j:

peanut allergies can be "airborne" also.

personally, if i know there are any form of nut allergies at school, i don't send nuts period. 

the 3 schools i'm familiar with where i am are all nut-free. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Her child has the right to a public education just like any other child. Children don't have a right to a peanut butter sandwich. I know lazy parents like to send peanut butter because it's easy, but there are other alternatives, like Sunbutter.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then homeschool

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Yes it should. As a parent who has a child with severely life threatening food allergies I would be pretty upset to find out it wasn't completely peanut free.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Wait...you really think that because they have a hard time breathing it must be because they are allergic to the smell?

haha ha ha ah aha ha ha ah ah ha ha aha ha.,.

Quoting AlleyCat08:

Let me know when you see someone with a breathing problem because of food allergy. I worked with someone who was allergic to chocolate, even the smell caused her problems. So yes, a smell can be an offense.
Same thing happens with my dh and his food allergies as well as my stepdaughter.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, people are not allergic to the smell of peanut butter. What an asinine thing to say.

Quoting AlleyCat08:

Many foods have an odor, peanut butter is one of them. I know people who are sensitive to the smell as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? Airborne peanut butter. Maybe if its thrown, lol. 

Quoting amomynous_j:

personally, if i know there are any form of nut allergies at school, i don't send nuts period. 

Bri060492
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM
4 moms liked this

My kid is allergic to peanuts too.

I would be upset that the school couldn't keep their promise of A table being peanut free. I don't care if op's daughter has peanut butter sandwiches. I'm not upset with the girl for eating there. I'm upset with the school for not telling her to move. Not explaining to the girl that she can't eat her peanut butter there because it could hurt another child.

My son's whole kindergarten class found out my kid's allergy and the KIDS requested to use skittles like him instead of m&m's because it wasn't fair. A lot of also went home and told their parents about it and refused peanut sandwiches to school because they wanted to sit with my kid. 

Kid's are so understanding and caring for their peer at this young age. It's adults that should be ashamed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then homeschool

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

mamax20810
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Ahahaha this post title made me laugh...my oldest is 5 yrs old and in kindergarten. He came home and told me he eats at the peanut free table. ***facepalm*** He knew that the sign meant no peanuts. For some reason his 5 yr old mind didn't make the connection pb&j sandwich is made of peanuts. And why the table is not monitored to be sure who is sitting there I have no idea. His teachers know he has no food allergies. We discussed it.
Anyway I explained that it's not acceptable for him to sit there. But Mommy what about if I have tuna. No son. No. Under no circumstances, so not sit at the peanut free table. Okay Mommy, but I really like the sign.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Lol so your not allowed yo take nuts if any kind??? That would make it impossible in our home

Quoting amomynous_j:

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM

If he doesn;t have peanut butter with him, and has tuna instead...why can't he sit there? 

Quoting mamax20810:

Ahahaha this post title made me laugh...my oldest is 5 yrs old and in kindergarten. He came home and told me he eats at the peanut free table. ***facepalm*** He knew that the sign meant no peanuts. For some reason his 5 yr old mind didn't make the connection pb&j sandwich is made of peanuts. And why the table is not monitored to be sure who is sitting there I have no idea. His teachers know he has no food allergies. We discussed it.
Anyway I explained that it's not acceptable for him to sit there. But Mommy what about if I have tuna. No son. No. Under no circumstances, so not sit at the peanut free table. Okay Mommy, but I really like the sign.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I don't mind that nuts are banned for allergies. In our school its the same procedure. The problem I have us how much the school caters to only those allergies so the kids with other forms of allergies are completely ignored. In my 1st grade class (I'm a teacher) we have kids 3 kids allergic to eggs so when the kids bring in eggs for lunch or during easter when we are coloring eggs we have no procedure in place.

I guess my point is that the schools have got to figure out a fair way to deal with allergies because unfortunelty not everyone has nut allergies.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

And those kids can eat peanuts at home so my son doesn't die. My sons class is completely peanut/tree nut free and the kids and their parents have no issues with it.

How would you feel if your child was deathly allergic to peanuts/tree nuts? Would you isolate them? What would you do if your deathly allergic child died because a parent decided their child's love of PB & Js was more important?

Seriously I want to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

and those kids deserve to eat peanuts

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

No. My son deserves to socialize with other kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then homeschool

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN