Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hair dye (do it yourself stuff).....what brand do you use/like?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies

I am 43 and have never dyed my hair.  It was always blond, but now it's dirty blonde/light brown.  I've seen a few strands of gray over the past couple of years (ick).  lol  So I thought I would start dying my hair NOW before it gets worse with the grays which would be upsetting to me. 

If you dye your hair at home, which brand do you use and like the best?  Have you ever had any bad reactions to store bought hair dye?  I got the John Frieda brand (medium golden blonde).  I didn't want to go too light because I thought it would look noticably fake.  lol  And how often do you dye your hair?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this
John Frieda foam color. Kind pricey for diy but good stuff
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I use Loreal Color Creme in dark chocolate brown. It's the closest thing I can find to my natural color. I only use it to cover my grays, and it does a good job.

I dye it every 6 weeks or so, as soon as the gray roots start to become noticeable. 😒
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM
You have never COLORED your hair before.

Go to Sally beauty and ask one of the girls to help you, box COLOR is crap!
BonnieRay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Been dying my Mom and Aunt's hair for 15 years. They swear by Clairol Nice N' Easy. Kind of hard to screw that one up and they always look nice. I did have a VERY bad experience with Revlon though!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Experte by L'oreal. Love it.
AmazingAmanda
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
GARNIER OLIA OIL POWERED PERMANENT COLOR, $9.99
The oils in this formula aren't just for deep conditioning —they also help deposit color onto strands. In other words, your shade will last longer and look richer than it would with a typical at-home kit. We went balls-out and tested the most difficult of all hair colors to maintain:
CHERRY RED (060)
. And yes, it lasted until our roots grew in four weeks later.

I stole that from an article, but it's what I've been using and I love it.
KikiB85
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Garnier. Love it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

i can not stand the pump ones. when do your hair color at home- never do more then two shades lighter or darker then your own unless of course you are going for something else. i lke loreal, carol nice and easy

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I usually go to Sally's and buy what they tell me to buy. Vella or something for the developer, and then I just pick out a shade I like.

It looks better and lasts longer than anything I've used out of a box from the drug store.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I use Garnier most of the time. I've had no issues.

ETA: I have no used their blondes though. So I'm not sure how those are personally. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)