Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is working on the holidays such a big deal? ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 186 Replies
7 moms liked this
I don't get why people are upset that there are people who will be working on holidays....did you all forget the men and women who are deployed or even those state side that have to do 24 hr duty on holidays for no extra pay? They do it no issue. So why is it everyone is making a big fuss that Walmart, target, ect are open? I've had to miss Christmas, thanksgiving, and New Years before because I had to pull a 24 hour shift in the army. Don't our military deserve holidays with family too?

Geez ok so this blew up pretty quick. Some of you all are missing the point. Most are complaining that those in retail have to work on a holiday and that they should be home with their families. Well that's true but shouldn't everyone else? Fact is the world doesn't stop on a holiday, it continues on. Does it suck that they have to work? Yes it does. But at least they aren't risking their lives and wondering if they will get to see the next holiday. Most employers will tell you when applying for a job if they have off on holidays or if there is a possibility of working. If you want holidays off then don't get a job that has the possibility of working on a holiday.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM
9 moms liked this
Don't forget about the doctors, nurses, and cnas.
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM
22 moms liked this

My husband was deployed over thanksgiving and man he missed it...but when you voluntarily join the military, you know that is a distinct possibility. The military, emergency workers like police/fire, hospitals etc....it is not feasible that they all have the day off, people could die as a result. Now, if Walmart is closed, no one is going to die.  It's not asking a lot for corporations to set aside the greed and have all stores close for 8 consecutive hours or so.  Retail is not essential personnel.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this
People don't complain whenslow plowdrivers clean those roads for them to travel. They don't complain when the wrecker is needed and they call. I hear no complaints over hospital staff working or first responders.

I am so thankful for the troops. I wish they could be home.

Retail workers knew when they applied that their hours would suck. Everybody needs to get over it. Plenty of people have to work and have had to for years on holidays.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM
3 moms liked this
Police, fire and emt.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes them too and firefighters and police officers

Quoting Anonymous:

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I just mentioned them--those jobs are too important to have everyone have the day off.  Retail jobs are not.

Quoting Anonymous:

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Pilots, airline employees, airport staff...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Exactly. And some of those people get holiday pay.

Quoting Anonymous:

People don't complain whenslow plowdrivers clean those roads for them to travel. They don't complain when the wrecker is needed and they call. I hear no complaints over hospital staff working or first responders.

I am so thankful for the troops. I wish they could be home.

Retail workers knew when they applied that their hours would suck. Everybody needs to get over it. Plenty of people have to work and have had to for years on holidays.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My dh works offshore and he works almost all holidays and doesnt get paid extra , he doesn't even get to come home and see us in the evening . I don't understand why everyone is complaining about working holidays it is a part of being a adult and when you take the job you know there is a big chance you will have to work ...

momto3infl
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I totally agree plus there are hosptials and other medical places that are open too and people have to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN