Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMG MY TURKEY IS STILL FROZEN! HELP ME PLEASE!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

I have NEVER made a turkey before & now I'm really stressed.

We pulled it out on Sunday & put it in the fridge, well the fridge in the garage.  It has gotten pretty cold here & I never even thought about adjusting the temp on my fridge which during the summer is set at the coldest setting bc it gets so hot.  Well needless to say my fridge is basically an ice box so some of the turkey is still frozen.

Can I soak it in water? Can I still put it in my big electric roaster (I have a 50qt roaster that the turkey was going in) & have it thaw as it it cooking?

I can't believe I did this, hate when I do stupid shit!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM
4 moms liked this
You need to put it in a large container, with the wrapper on running it under cold water. The container should also be full of water. That will thaw it quickly and safely. Use cold water only!
the_dude
by abides on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

this

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

You need to put it in a large container, with the wrapper on running it under cold water. The container should also be full of water. That will thaw it quickly and safely. Use cold water only!

the_dude
by abides on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

COLD WATER ONLY

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I cannot stress this enough!!!!!

Quoting the_dude:

COLD WATER ONLY

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

How long does that normally take?  I wanted to put it in the roaster tonight for it to be ready for tomorrow, we are eating about 1.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

You can put it in cold water and change it every 30 minutes or you can get up and put it in the roaster a little ahead of time. Mine was frozen last year after thawing for a whole week. I just got up and stuck it in the roaster 1 hour earlier.

RoyalT26
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I can make you feel better by comparison....I didn't even  buy my dinner for tomorrow yet! 

dlnimo
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Keep it in cold water
gilbertgrl627
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I would put it in a brine. 1lb dark brown sugar, 1lb kosher salt, 6qts hot water, and about 5lbs of ice. I can't make it click, but here's a link:
http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/35148

We use the brine in this recipe, but still roast it. This should help. :-)
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If you’re short on time, you can defrost a turkey quickly by submerging it in a sink full of cool water. Change the water several times during the defrosting to keep the water from getting too cold. According to the USDA, a 4- to 12-pound turkey will take two to six hours to defrost; a 12- to 16-pound turkey six to eight hours; a 16- to 20-pound turkey eight to 10 hours and a 20- to 24-pound turkey 10 to 12 hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)