Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Post Mortem Photograghy kind of s/o.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 218 Replies

Mobile Photo

I have a collection of old photos and I decided to look and see if any of them could be post mortem because of that post from a day or so ago. This one looks like it, but it's a post card. Weird, yeah? Thoughts? Did people really make post cards with dead people on them?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM
They are both alive.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
What makes you think this is post mortem? Its plain as day that the two women are alive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Their hands are black.

Quoting Anonymous:What makes you think this is post mortem? Its plain as day that the two women are alive.
swampass101
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Usually the eyes are always closed with post mortem photography though.

#Mrs.SwampAss
Gothicgypsy3
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM
6 moms liked this

I completely understand the concept of post mortem photography. For people of that time, they didn't have the technology or the money to take lots of pics of their loved ones. This might have been the only photo they could have of them. So, I don't think its weird or gross. Its just how it was for them at the time. I'm sure in a hundred years from now, people are going to think its odd that people take so many pics of their food and put it on the internet, haha.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Their hands are much darker than their faces. That's why I thought it might be.

Quoting swampass101:

Usually the eyes are always closed with post mortem photography though.

lucille.bluth
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

That post made me think about that also. It was very common at one point in time to take pictures of your dead loved ones. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I don't think the actual picture is weird, if it is post mortem, I think the fact that it is also a post card is odd.

Quoting Gothicgypsy3:

I completely understand the concept of post mortem photography. For people of that time, they didn't have the technology or the money to take lots of pics of their loved ones. This might have been the only photo they could have of them. So, I don't think its weird or gross. Its just how it was for them at the time. I'm sure in a hundred years from now, people are going to think its odd that people take so many pics of their food and put it on the internet, haha.

lunyuny
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Interesting
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Old photos were often printed with a postcard background, especially studios in summer vacation spots. I have a few of my grandmother as a young girl.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)