Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UGH unless you are going to be paying my rent DONT tell me where I can live!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
so I am 26 and finally saved enough money to move out of my moms. (long story short every time I would start saving something would go wrong on my moms house and she wouldn't have the money to pay it so my savings would have to pay for repairs or new appliances on top of me paying her 400 a month in rent) anyway, I am very low income and I found an apartment that includes utilities and internet that is in my price range (by not paying utilities I can afford 100 more in rent) the down side being it is near a few halfway houses and isn't in the best neighborhood. rhe apartment complex is secure (gates you need either a code or magkey to get in, security doors etc) well I was.telling my mom that I really liked the apartment, that I could afford it, etc and that I was thinking about moving there when they have an opening. all she said was "you are not moving my grandson into THAT neighborhood." ok.... then.she starts listing all these apartments that are 700-800 a month for a one to two bedroom that are crazy expensive and then mentioned her friends that have apartments in a worse neighborhood than what I was looking at before. she is acting like she is happy I am finally going to be a grown up again and live on my own after getting back on my feet yet she wants me to do it on her terms. she wants to pick the neighborhood and the apartment for me. well im sorry that's not going to happen. it may suck right now but I will be able to move somewhere better eventually.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I wouldn't live in a bad neighborhood, but thats just me. When I first moved out, I considered renting a house in a horrible part of town, because the price was phenomenal (this was before kids) My dad bought me a bullet proof vest lmao. In the end I decided the price wasn't worth living in the ghetto.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM
She's not trying to 'pick' she's looking out for you and your child. That's what moms do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM
honestly the neighborhood that the apartment is in isn't bad. there is a bad neighborhood near it. I used to live two blocks away in a worse neighborhood before I moved back home.

and if I could move I would. but then I would have no job and no where to live. that and I have to stay within 100 miles per my CO. with my ds dad

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Tell her you detached from her at birth and you are your own person.

I do however agree, you shouldn't have your kids in a bad neighborhood.  I moved across the country to get out of a city that was just all over bad and I would have never taken my kids to a hood that you're talking about moving to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM
no shes picking. she won't be happy with anywhere I live unless she approves of it.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

She's not trying to 'pick' she's looking out for you and your child. That's what moms do.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Yes, because moms want what's best for their kids. If you saw your child doing something that could be harmful are you just going to let him or her do it? No.

That doesn't mean you don't do what feels right for you, you're an adult, but that doesn't mean she stops being a mom either.

Quoting Anonymous:

no shes picking. she won't be happy with anywhere I live unless she approves of it.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Chunkymunkey922
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM
You gotta do what you gotta do. She will deal with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM
no with her its bigger than that. she is over dramatic and a hypocrite. her friends own an apartment complex in an area that is worse than the one I looked. at, has roaches, bed bugs etc and she wants me to rent from them. it has nothing to do with where it is or the safety of the neighborhood and everything to do with she doesn't like it.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Yes, because moms want what's best for their kids. If you saw your child doing something that could be harmful are you just going to let him or her do it? No.

That doesn't mean you don't do what feels right for you, you're an adult, but that doesn't mean she stops being a mom either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

rebeccarae
by Bec on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Honestly, do what's best for you and your son. Not every neighborhood that is bad on the eyes is bad for the family. I lived in a bad neighborhood as a child, and never had anything happen to me, we moved to a "good" neighborhood as I finished high school, and that was absolutely horrible. Do what YOU need to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I find it interesting so many posters are saying she just wants what's best for the OP and her child, yet nothing in the post or OPs replies lends itself to that line of thinking. If she really wanted what was best for OP she wouldn't go shopping with the bill money OP gives her, then stick OP with the cancellation charge. Sounds more like the ops mother is more upset at the loss of the OPs extra money, then her objecting to where she's going to move for safety reasons. OP, do what you have to do, and good luck!

teaandcookies
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Good for you for wanting to stand on your own two fett.  It is easier for you to stay with her beacuse she gets to se gs everyday and so on.  You need to move forward on getting your life where you want it.  I lived in a neighbor hood for a year so I could save on rent for our wedding.  Yes it was small, yes there were problem, but I paid my wedding in cash, and my son was only 20 months so its not like he noticed all that much.  A month after our wedding I moved into my beautiful town house, then to my current house.   It is awsome that you are putting limints on yourself, and saying NO I WILL NOT BE HOUSE POOR.  It take a very huge sence of responsibilty to admit what you can and can't afford.  But I would leave on good terms, incase you even needed her help in future.  Best of luck in finding and paving your path through life.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)