Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child terrified of Santa yet mother still contuines tradition...thoughts

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

My friend's son is afraid of many things, including Santa Claus. My son told him he wasn't real. (they are a year and a day apart 5.5,6.5) I don't do Santa. My son thinks Santa Clause is just like Mickey Mouse. 

Anyways, she told me yesterday she made him write to Santa and his letter was basically the following:

Dear Santa,

Please don't come to my house, you are scary and I am afraid of you. I do want presents but please don't come to my house. I really want....(list toys)

Anyways, I don't understand if your child was TERRIFED of Santa why  would you still make him REAL.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM
We don't do Santa either, for the same reason, I wont fill my sons head with rubbish! But she shouldn't either if he's genuinely scared
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Oh, and my son spoiled it because he was mad at the child, and he got in trouble too, because I told him NOT to tell. That it is adults responsiblities to tell children about certain things not a child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM
5 moms liked this
I'd be more concerned about why her child is so scared of everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Lmao oh boy. Sounds like her kid needs to stock up on his Wheaties...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:06 AM

That poor fella so filled with fear and/or anxiety.   Holy cow.   Dd believes in Santa and she also knows the joy of giving.  She calls it her turn at being santa.  She loves to give money to bell ringers, donate toys to various places etc.   I would worry more why he is so fearful of things.   This age is definitely known for being afraid of men in white beards.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I swear I think its because she coddles him. One day after he freaked out again about the zombies. I was finally stepped in. I sat him down and was like look. Do you like playing Zombies vs Plants.  Yes. Then what are you afraid of when S wants to play them for real. All you have to do is blow them up in your mind. Shoot em, get them they aren't really. Then I got him talking about all the ways he would kill them, and my friend got mad said I was making him violent. She wanted to tell him that 100 monkeys would kiss them to death. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd be more concerned about why her child is so scared of everything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:10 AM

He is, I think its because when he is afraid, she doesn't assert herself with reassurance. I mean come on she told thim that monkeys would kiss zombies to death.

Quoting Anonymous:

That poor fella so filled with fear and/or anxiety.   Holy cow.   Dd believes in Santa and she also knows the joy of giving.  She calls it her turn at being santa.  She loves to give money to bell ringers, donate toys to various places etc.   I would worry more why he is so fearful of things.   This age is definitely known for being afraid of men in white beards.

bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I don't understand why parents insist on continuing with that lie along with the others....what is the point?

DEJavu17
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I will never understand why parents don't do Santa. Its fun for the kids....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I asked her. She said she likes the magic of it all. She throws quaters in her back yard for St Patties day (Leper cons brought those), the Easter Bunny, etc. But never talk about GOD infront of her son...yikes she has some issues on that. 

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

I don't understand why parents insist on continuing with that lie along with the others....what is the point?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)