Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It shouldn't be called Black Friday...

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 18 Replies
6 moms liked this

It should be called the Hunger Games...people kill and trample each other and the winner gets a $100 tv...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YoureSoVain
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM

lol but I am curious as to why the stores started calling it Black Friday, since, as far as i know, the term originated from employees calling it that based on it sucking to have to work it. Definitely a negative term. I just wonder that spin they put on the name?

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

j3st3r
by Jedi on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
5 moms liked this
It's when retail stores typically go from "in the red" to "in the black."

Accounting term for when they turn profitable for the year.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

lol but I am curious as to why the stores started calling it Black Friday, since, as far as i know, the term originated from employees calling it that based on it sucking to have to work it. Definitely a negative term. I just wonder that spin they put on the name?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
It's because it's the day that usually put a business that's in the red..to back in the black..so they are now making a profit.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM
LOL
They weren't that bad here. 99% of the people were polite
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I think it was originally called that because stores who's books were in the red were now in the black.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Wow.  Don't even open your mouth.  It's abotu the bottom line.  When a business is in the red they are doing poorly.  When they are in the black they are exceeding expectations.  Get an education please or don't open your mouth.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

Bertha21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
It starts on Thursday, it shouldn't be called black friday. People are crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady-J-Rock
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
It's name originated from the store going from being in the red to being in the black. Red is debt. Black is profits.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Quoting YoureSoVain:

One explanation I heard is that retailers spend many months operating with losses, a.k.a in the "red", and Black Friday marks the beginning of them making a profit, or being in the "black".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)