Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm getting scared now.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies
I am almost 11 weeks pregnant.

I am not diabetic although when I was a teen I did have occasional bouts of low blood sugar (I worked 3 jobs and barely slept or ate)

Since I got pregnant my blood sugar drops almost every day. Some times a few times a day.

I start feeling sick to my stomach and I get a headache and can't think. I eat and within an hour I am better.

At one point I had labs done and they drew my blood. I almost passed out and was sweating. I couldn't make my mouth work and the edges were all black and fuzzy.

I mentioned to my dr that I kept havimg dizzy spells byt the severe almost passed out one happened after my appoiment. The dr told me to eat something like peanut butter and crackers between my meals.

They are getting worse every time. And I'm starting to get scared. My next appointment isn't until the 16th.

Has anyome been through this? What is wronf with me?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM
5 moms liked this
Iron. Start taking more iron eating more iron rich foods and yes pnut butter helps. I had that with my 2nd and 3rd.

Try smaller more frequent meals.

Good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I had the same thing happen with my #3 baby! I was working as a cashier part-time. I kept almonds and peanuts at my register along with plenty of water. Whenever I wasn't busy with a customer, I would eat at least 5 almonds or a handful of peanuts. The protein in nuts helps your blood sugar stay more stable. I also ate trail mix (peanuts, M&M's, sunflower seeds, raisins and chow mein noodles. I had a note from my Dr. that I gave to my supervisor that I needed to have high-protein snacks throughout my shift while at my register b/c we 'techincally' were not suppose to have food at our registers. Of course, my supervisor HAD to go by what my Dr. said or else face a lawsuit if I passed out and got hurt or needed to be hospitalized. I did not have gestational diabetes either. My Dr. said some pregnant women have a harder time keeping their blood sugar levels normal due to hormonal changes and it has nothing to do with gestational diabetes. Good luck to you!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I eat a lot of spinach. I go through at least one poumd a week between me and dd who is 4 (mostly me, she likes it but I love it lol)

I know my prenatals don't have iron though, because the ones with iron make me horrible sick.

I'm actually making myself sick trying to eat small 2 or 3x a day. ItIt's more than I'm used to. I think I'm going to wind up having to talk with a nutritionist at my next appointment

Quoting Anonymous:

Iron. Start taking more iron eating more iron rich foods and yes pnut butter helps. I had that with my 2nd and 3rd.

Try smaller more frequent meals.

Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM
So there isn't anything wromg with me then? Just having a rough pregnancy?
I was freaking myself out so bad because I couldn't find anything online about it. I have no idea whatv I was thinking it could be but none of it good lol.

What I don't understand is I don't let myself be hungry. As soon as I feel hungry I drink some milk or try to eat some crackers (I cant always do peanut butter but can usually manage a few crackers) and if its near a meal then I make the meal right afret the milk or crackers.

When it used to happen I had to ifnore the hunger for hours before I had a drop

Quoting Anonymous:

I had the same thing happen with my #3 baby! I was working as a cashier part-time. I kept almonds and peanuts at my register along with plenty of water. Whenever I wasn't busy with a customer, I would eat at least 5 almonds or a handful of peanuts. The protein in nuts helps your blood sugar stay more stable. I also ate trail mix (peanuts, M&M's, sunflower seeds, raisins and chow mein noodles. I had a note from my Dr. that I gave to my supervisor that I needed to have high-protein snacks throughout my shift while at my register b/c we 'techincally' were not suppose to have food at our registers. Of course, my supervisor HAD to go by what my Dr. said or else face a lawsuit if I passed out and got hurt or needed to be hospitalized. I did not have gestational diabetes either. My Dr. said some pregnant women have a harder time keeping their blood sugar levels normal due to hormonal changes and it has nothing to do with gestational diabetes. Good luck to you!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I'm not a medical Dr., so I cannot say for 'sure' that there isn't anything wrong with you. All I can say, is my Dr. said that when you are pregnant, the hormones screw up with your blood sugar and not have gestational diabetes. The problem with crackers is there is little to no protein in them. The body needs lots of protein. The milk of course is very good for the protein. I also ate lots of yogurt to help with extra protein. You can always call your Drs. office on Monday and talk to the nurse or medical assistant and see what they say. Also, drinking some soda pop that is NOT diet soda can help keep your blood sugar up when it falls. I would feel really crappy in the morning due to not eating all night. I would have DH bring me a coke and some crackers. I would drink some coke and eat some crackers before I got out of bed. I would stay in bed for about 15 minutes to give the sugar time to work so I wouldn't feel like crap when I went to stand up.  Good luck and try not to worry too much--I'm sure you are going to be fine!  

Quoting Anonymous:

I was freaking myself out so bad because I couldn't find anything online about it. I have no idea whatv I was thinking it could be but none of it good lol.

What I don't understand is I don't let myself be hungry. As soon as I feel hungry I drink some milk or try to eat some crackers (I cant always do peanut butter but can usually manage a few crackers) and if its near a meal then I make the meal right afret the milk or crackers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Ill buy some nuts the next time I'm at the store. Any type that would be better for the blood sugar?
I just hope I can stomach them. The peanut butter hasn't made me throw up yet but it does sometimes make my stomach turn.

Surprisingly as often as that has happened I haven't thrown up yet this whole pregnancy lol. So that's one positive :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not a medical Dr., so I cannot say for 'sure' that there isn't anything wrong with you. All I can say, is my Dr. said that when you are pregnant, the hormones screw up with your blood sugar and not have gestational diabetes. The problem with crackers is there is little to no protein in them. The body needs lots of protein. The milk of course is very good for the protein. I also ate lots of yogurt to help with extra protein. You can always call your Drs. office on Monday and talk to the nurse or medical assistant and see what they say. Also, drinking some soda pop that is NOT diet soda can help keep your blood sugar up when it falls. I would feel really crappy in the morning due to not eating all night. I would have DH bring me a coke and some crackers. I would drink some coke and eat some crackers before I got out of bed. I would stay in bed for about 15 minutes to give the sugar time to work so I wouldn't feel like crap when I went to stand up.  Good luck and try not to worry too much--I'm sure you are going to be fine!  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM
My second pregnancy was harder than my first with this kind of stuff. I just couldn't maintain it as well and had a smaller range that my body preferred me to be in. I am still breastfeeding and still eat atleast every two hours.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I was able to stomach almonds and sunflower seeds without any problems. Nuts are full of lots of good vitamins and minerals too! Also, if you feel nauseated, get some hard peppermint candy! My DH had to buy me a couple of small bags of them for when I was working. I seriously thought I was going to hurl! Peppermint is a natural anti-nausea oil! As soon as I started sucking on one of the hard peppermint candies, the nausea would go away! They are AWESOME! If you can't find them in the round shape, you can also buy candy canes with peppermint. Just make sure they are the white and red hard candy. Some candy canes are like multi-colored blue, yellow, green etc and are fruit flavored. YUCK!!  

Quoting Anonymous:

Ill buy some nuts the next time I'm at the store. Any type that would be better for the blood sugar?
I just hope I can stomach them. The peanut butter hasn't made me throw up yet but it does sometimes make my stomach turn.

Surprisingly as often as that has happened I haven't thrown up yet this whole pregnancy lol. So that's one positive :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM
I will definitely try the peppermints. I drink peppermint tea at night sometimes and thinking about it my stomach eased up when I drank it. I just assumed it was the hot drink lol. And almonds it is. I don't like sunflower seeds.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was able to stomach almonds and sunflower seeds without any problems. Nuts are full of lots of good vitamins and minerals too! Also, if you feel nauseated, get some hard peppermint candy! My DH had to buy me a couple of small bags of them for when I was working. I seriously thought I was going to hurl! Peppermint is a natural anti-nausea oil! As soon as I started sucking on one of the hard peppermint candies, the nausea would go away! They are AWESOME! If you can't find them in the round shape, you can also buy candy canes with peppermint. Just make sure they are the white and red hard candy. Some candy canes are like multi-colored blue, yellow, green etc and are fruit flavored. YUCK!!  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I don't think I could handle that. Eating so much. I can barely stand to eat every 5ish hours. And snacks in between are horrible. I have to force mtself to eat more than a few bites. I'm hoping it gets easier once my body gets used to more than one meal a day.

Quoting Kellileanne:

My second pregnancy was harder than my first with this kind of stuff. I just couldn't maintain it as well and had a smaller range that my body preferred me to be in. I am still breastfeeding and still eat atleast every two hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN