Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I had to fire a single mom of a special needs kid yesterday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 205 Replies
1 mom liked this

I obviously didn't feel good about doing it, but my sister is trying to make me feel bad about it.

Her son has autism and several emotional/learning disabilities. She has told me in the past that when he has a meltdown, it can be violent and very hard to control. We've had a good relationship and she was a good worker most of the time. However, she was consistently late, almost always because of something to do with him. I was understanding in the beginning, but it really wasn't fair to my other staff to see her coming in 15-20 minutes late on a regular basis with no consequences. In the last two months, her son has been having a rough patch, and I let it slide a bit, but she hasn't shown up to work twice without a call until 30 mins after her shift started. Both times she sounded like she'd been crying and I told her I would write her up, but not to stress.

Yesterday she didn't show up at all. No call, nothing. I tried calling her every hour or so, no answer. I got a TEXT 3 hours after her shift was supposed to be done saying "sorry, stressful day with Johnny". Another employee had to stay to cover her shift after he had just worked 8 hours since no one else could come in. That was the last straw and I asked her to come in when she could. She did, and I had to let her go. She didn't take it well at all, which is understandable, but there's no way I could have kept her on with her unreliability. 

My bitchy sister has been reaming me out all night- "how could I do that to a single mom before the holidays", "what about her son?". I feel bad, but I'm an employer, not a charity. Our company policy is 3 write up, you're gone, with a no call-no show once being grounds for dismissal in itself. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM
36 moms liked this

You know. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do as an employer. You cannot coddle people just because of their circumstances.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:03 AM
5 moms liked this

You do what you have to do. I personally wouldn't have tolerated it as long as you did. 

skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM
2 moms liked this

You did what you had to do.You cant kept expecting other employees to pick up slack.Having a kid no less a special needs kid does not put you above the other employees.You could have gotten fired for continuing to let her slide.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Any job I have ever heard of a no call no show is automatic termination. I know it probably sucked.
TishHughes
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM

That's not an excuse for not calling or showing up. Sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM

It's unfortunate, but you did what needed to be done. She should of been understanding in that you gave her so many more chances than most people would. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM
11 moms liked this

i hate people that think others owe them because they have a special needs kid.......

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM

that sucks 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM

It sounds like she needs to be with her kid more than she needs the job anyhow, maybe that is why he is acting out

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Ouch.  That's a tough situation, but you had to do what you had to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured