Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't do it. I just can't.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 262 Replies
25 moms liked this
I can't do any type of retail.
I hate people way too much, lol.

I am in school to advance in my career of choice.
I've been in school for 2 years and have a year and a half left.
To help with bills, I wanted to get a part time job. Nothing too serious or time consuming, just something to help my husband out.

Fuck this.

I can't.

I applied for a job at a restaurant. It looked fun and exciting and fast paced.
I've never worked at a restaurant before. Only an insurance office.
So I got hired as a hostess. The hostesses also bus tables, which is something I don't like.
I don't really like bussing, I'm better at coordinating.
So anyways, I kept the job regardless and decided to give it a try since my friend works there too and loves it.

A family comes in the door. I greet them and ask either how many or if anyone else will be joining them.
I get a snarky response almost every time.
They'll say "Obviously just 4 of us."
Actually, you bumbling idiot, it's not "obvious". A lot of times somebody else joins or someone is parking the car or WHATEVER.
It's not as cut and dry as me just counting you all.

If I do say "The three of you for dinner?"
Some asshole will say "no, more will be coming."
Then there's a pause..... I'm like okay, care to elaborate?? Like maybe HOW FUCKING MANY.

Then there's the people that come in and before I can even say hello, they're yelling "2 for a booth".
First off, hi. How the fuck are you tonight?
Second, why are you not allowing me to utter a word before you're requesting a booth? Why are you so eager for a booth?
Weird. It's just a booth.

Then there are the people that say, "We would like a booth by the window."
Me: "I can do that, certainly. Right now they are all filled up, but I could take your name and I'd quote the wait at about 10 mins"
Customer: "So there's no booths available by the window?"
DIDN'T WE JUST COVER THIS? Guess not. I'll repeat it.
Me: "No, not at the moment. Can I take your name for a brief wait or seat you elsewhere?"
Customer: *takes like 2 mins to discuss it with the fucking wife*.
Is it that hard to come to a decision??
Customer: "We will actually take a booth towards the back wall."
Once again, are you fucking blind?? There are NONE AVAILABLE. You can CLEARLY see the whole restaurant from the hosted sing stand, it's clear that the most liked booths are taken.
So after minutes of fucking hashing it out, they suddenly don't mind sitting elsewhere.
GOOD. I'm glad. And congratulations, I'm now 80 fucking years old. I'm glad you took soooo long to decide such a simple SIMPLE simple thing.
Jeez.

There's the group of 3 people that come in and want to sit at the booth that fits 10.
Umm, no..? Why would I do that? That just makes it so that when a big party comes in, and THEY WILL since it's a Saturday night, I can't sit them.
Why do 3 people need a space for 10 people?
I don't get it. Why can't you just be normal and sit at a regular table or booth that would fit the amount of people you have? Did you plan on giving massages? I'm confused.

There's the people that come in with small children. I ask if they'd like a booster seat or a high chair. They decline.
5 minutes later they want a high chair, so they come up to the hostess if stand and ask for one.
First off, you are now in the hands of your waiter/waitress.
Second, can't you see I'm busy?? I already dealt with you and seated you. I have a line at the podium and I will not ditch the crowd to go get you the high chair you didn't want at first.
Changing your mind is perfectly okay. But why are you asking me? Your server JUST visited your table, were you conscious for that?

There are the people that allow their kids to rip paper into tiny shreds and color on the table.
Umm, fucking LOSER!
Who the Hell lets their kid trash a table to that degree and/or draw all over it? Way to let your brat run your life.
Your child is making a humongous mess, and your child looks about 5 years older than mine. Mine wouldn't ever dream of doing something so..... DUMB. I am the parent and I set rules and boundaries for how to behave in public. I guess not all parents do that? Hmm.

The moms that come up and ask me over and over for a different colored crayon for their child because "all he got was 2 and he doesn't like red or orange"
HAHAHAHAHA. What? He actually had a green and blue as well. I watched him break them in half and toss them. So, you're wrong.
Here's the wax sticks for your spawn. Hopefully he eats them.

I hold the door for a guy to be nice as he's leaving. He says "now what should I tip the door girl for doing so well tonight at getting the door?"
Excuse me? Save your money, you need it to spend on your wife. She's wearing clothes that look like they were made for a size 3 and she's clearly NOT remotely that small.
How about you use your grubby fingers to hand HER over your wannabe wad of cash so she isn't wearing those clothes, provide for your wife you dumbass.

I can't do it. Too many incompetent people.
I'm not cut out for a job that deals with the public by serving them in that manner.
Not for me!!

Goodbye to trying something new!
And hello to the Insurance company again while I finish school to be in my office working with people on a professional level.
I don't like dealing with people outside of their profession unless they are a friend.
Too many idiots.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:48 AM
30 moms liked this
Wow, i hope your 'career of choice' never requires you to talk to other people
Arwynn
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Wow.
Just.
Wow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:50 AM
3 moms liked this
Too long. But i hate humans too! I can't even go grocery shopping with too many people around me I'll scream and start swinging lol
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmao welcone to dealing with the public. I once got in an arguement over s guy who ordered a hot roast beef about if it was hot or not. umm do you nit see me pulling it from the steam table dumbass. even the guy standing next to him was looking at him like he had 10 heads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntyag
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Yeah you're not a people person one bit.
charmgirl
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh god. Lol can I tell you? I realize that one of those you descibed is me? Aaaaaand its because I'm a)awkward/anxious/nervous and b) I hate people too!!!! I'm probably the person that doesn't let people talk, I just say how many or whatever. I want all convos to be as short as possible. Don't look at me for a prolonged period...lol then I feel more weird. I have to go back and read the rest but I love this post.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM
What an idiot, haha. Oh no wait, YOU must be the dumb one for preparing the sandwich.
They act like you're stupid for working there. It's like actually, I'm almost done with school and I'll be in a position that you will be trying to have me negotiate with you.

I hate people

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Lmao welcone to dealing with the public. I once got in an arguement over s guy who ordered a hot roast beef about if it was hot or not. umm do you nit see me pulling it from the steam table dumbass. even the guy standing next to him was looking at him like he had 10 heads.

Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM
17 moms liked this

The Problem is YOU not them

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe work with animal?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM
8 moms liked this
As someone who's only ever worked in retail and food service, I lol'd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)