Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mil driving me crazy. Buying dd love

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My mil barley sees my dd. She only wants to see her if it's at her convenience. Dd naps every day at 11. So she asks me to come by her work at 11:30- noon-ish. I have said yes in the past and ended up with an overtired cranky baby just so she can parade her around and boast about her granddaughter and what a great grandmother she is. All while telling people that my dd is a daddy's girl and doesn't like to listen to mommy because she's crying and unhappy (she's tired)

Now, if mil made any other effort to spend time with dd id have no problem with her missing a nap or two to go see grandma at work I want my dd to know all her grandparents. But she doesn't. She calls, tells us she bought her stuff and to come to her work with dd to get it... Always during nap time!
Dh and I have tried to make plans on weekend mornings, evening and afternoons but she's always doing something and and says it would be better for her to do it during the week. But she'll buy her something when she's out. (Uh stop trying to buy her love)
Well I'm done catering to her, and letting her play the worlds greatest grandma card.
If she wants to see dd it will be after her nap and not at work, maybe at the park or our house or hers where they can get to know each other. Dd cries when she picks her up and reaches for me and hides her head in my chest and it makes mil mad but it is to be expected... She doesn't know her!

I think this has a little (if not a lot) with mil never liking me. She said I stole her son, she took me to dinner 8 years ago to tell me I would never be seeing her son again. She said my maid of honor was the most beautiful girl in the room on our wedding day.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Three.Thousand
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Se sounds like a fucking bitch!!!!
bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Why are you still letting this txic person be a part of your life? You husband needs to stand up to his mother.
Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Your mil sounds like a piece of work.  I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby for any reason.  I'd say, "I'll be there when she wakes up."

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Yeah I wouldn't either. Why can't she come to you anyway? It's harder to travel with a baby than travel by yourself.
cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:36 AM

No one messes with my son's nap. I say no to parties if they are during nap time. We don't go anywhere during nap time. Yes, put your foot down and start having MIL come to you. She should be doing that and helping with the grandchild anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM
We live with my mother. She's welcome here, but never accepts an invite over. My mom has even invited her over when she is with dd if me or dh is at work.
We thought maybe she's uncomfortable coming here so we offer to go to her house every sat. and sun. She always says no. :-/

Quoting HIJKLM:

Yeah I wouldn't either. Why can't she come to you anyway? It's harder to travel with a baby than travel by yourself.

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Screw her then. She sounds selfish

Quoting Anonymous:

We live with my mother. She's welcome here, but never accepts an invite over. My mom has even invited her over when she is with dd if me or dh is at work.

We thought maybe she's uncomfortable coming here so we offer to go to her house every sat. and sun. She always says no. :-/

Quoting HIJKLM:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:39 AM
I have asked him to. He says he'd rather "keep peace"
His parents put him in the middle of a lot of arguments and disagreements when he was growing up.

Quoting bellawomen:

Why are you still letting this txic person be a part of your life? You husband needs to stand up to his mother.

ce2poetry
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:42 AM
It used to be like that with my kids. I stepped back from situation and its a lot better. She still gets kids stuff from time to time but kids seem to expect her not to ever come around unless I take them to her so I just quit doing it. My dh didn't like it at first but she started playing favorites between my two and then the other grand kids and I am not making my kids feel like their any less of importance.
hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:47 AM

She sounds like a real.....witch. I wouldn't cater to her either. She doesn't sound like that great of a grandma anyway, she just wants the attention. I think you are doing the right thing, this will force her to get to know her grandaughter. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)