Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think DD has a drinking problem :-(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

My DD turned 18 and has used her new freedoms to drink ALL the time. Every single time I see her she is drunk or has been drinking the night before. She has gotten in trouble at work because she came drunk one day. She is doing horrible in her classes and is going to have to retake most of them.

Luckily she doesnt have a car so I dont have to worry about it. I am just so sad. I mean sure most people like alcohol but this is the extreme.

I dont think it will be long before she wants to move back in but it isnt going to happen if she is drinking this way again but that scares me because she will have no where else to go.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Why is she drinking at 18?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

That is the legal age here

Quoting Cbreland07:

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Ahhh
Have you talked to her about your concerns?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cbreland07:

Mommysmadae
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

You may have to show some tough love early on. Do not let yourself rescue her it will be a huge mistake. Let her learn her lessons without your interference. 

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Hugs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Yeah but she says its normal and everyone does it. Which isnt true because my 19 year old was nothing like that. Yes she did drink but not pretty much every day

Quoting Cbreland07:

Ahhh

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cbreland07:

jglasser7682
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

My DD turned 18 and has used her new freedoms to drink ALL the time. Every single time I see her she is drunk or has been drinking the night before. She has gotten in trouble at work because she came drunk one day. She is doing horrible in her classes and is going to have to retake most of them.

Luckily she doesnt have a car so I dont have to worry about it. I am just so sad. I mean sure most people like alcohol but this is the extreme.

I dont think it will be long before she wants to move back in but it isnt going to happen if she is drinking this way again but that scares me because she will have no where else to go.

Tough love, mama!

If you let her move back in with you when she is doing those things, then that will just reinforce the idea that she can keep doing whatever she wants without consequence.

If she is old enough to drink and get drunk then she should be old enough to get herself out of messes that she gets herself into.

Good luck mama! I wish you and your DD the best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I want to say give her the benefit of the doubt. Watch her closely and guide her when you can but let her make the choices she's going to. Maybe she's going harder than you think is acceptable but maybe she's not and you don't want to lady blame or accusations on her that aren't fitting. Good luck!
suzanneyea
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My sister is an alcoholic. It is very hard cause I love her so much. Sometimes she is fine, just drunk. But, other times, like last night, she turns nasty. I doubt she will get sober, she is almost 48.

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Well I say let her deal with the consequences (as long as she's not in real danger)
It sounds like she's going crazy cause she can now, hopefully she'll back off before she gets in any real trouble

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah but she says its normal and everyone does it. Which isnt true because my 19 year old was nothing like that. Yes she did drink but not pretty much every day

Quoting Cbreland07:

Ahhh

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cbreland07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)