Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are a minor until you are 21 in MS?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

WTF? My sister lives there and her son has been acting out. He is 18, well I told her to kick him out and apparently she cant because he is still a minor until 21 years of age.

Is this even true? The age of majority is set at 21. Is there anyway around it?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (31-39):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Yes he could go to the police and my sister can be charged. He doesnt want to move out and he is the one who said he would report her so she went to the police station and asked them. I dont think it is horse shit at all. She is going to meet with a lawyer to see what options she has. She might have to emancipate him which should be an easy process.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Mmm that's horse shit. If you kick him out what the hell is he going to do? Go to the police? My mommy wont let me come home!

Uh no. My mom kicked me out at 16 and she kicked my little brother out several times. And even had to call the police to remove him from the yard when he was 17. So yea that's horse shit.

I've lived in Mississippi my entire life. Never once have I heard of anyone catching shit for kicking their kid out.

Quoting Anonymous:

No the legal age of majority is 21. That is stated clearly in the law. However you still have many freedoms at 18. You can move out on your own but according to the police a parent can not kick you out.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Not true. In Mississippi you are a legal adult at the age of 18. However you do need a parents permission to marry if tour under the age of 21

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Oh god those officers were probably just blowing smoke up her ass. Cops around here are assholes.

A lawyer is a good idea. She could also just draw up the papers to emancipate him or sign her rights off.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well my sister is meeting with a lawyer but two police officers told her that if she tries to kick him out she can be charged with child abandonment.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

That's bs.

Your parents can kick you out at 18.

I'm 24 and have lived here my whole life. I've been kicked out moved out dropped out. Done it all.

I moved out when I was 17 and my mom actually took me to court and tried to force me back.home. the judge just laughed at her and told her I was an adult. Learn to live with it.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

Interesting.  My parents kicked me out several times when I was 16 and 17 ..lol   Please update this.  I'm curious what the law says about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

According to the police if she kicks him out it can be seen as child abadonment. They are saying HE has to move out on his own.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

He can still live on his own at 18.  I lived in MS from birth - 24 years old.  I rented an apartment in college.  It won't be a problem.

The age of majority is 21, but that won't affect his ability to sign a lease for an apartment. 

She can kick him out at 18.

idunno1234
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Look OP, I don't know what game you are playing but this is the third version of the same post that you have posted on this site in about a week.  This time instead of MIchigan and your 18 year old daughter, its a nephew in Mississippi.

People keep telling you the same answers on all three threads and you keep arguing with them.  There is absolutely no law enforcement agency which will waste its time going after parents of an errant young adult so either accept this or continue to lie to yourself if that it what you wish to do. 

What exactly is it that you are looking for??  Just tell yourself the answer you want to hear and stop wasting everyone else's time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yes, in MS the age of majority is 21. I once worked for a collection agency, and the parents in MS were always surprised to hear that they were responsible for their 18, 19, 20 year old's medical bills unless the "child" is emancipated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Lol I am not playing any games. I am just posting to try to help my sister out. There might not be anyone that will go after her that is why she is going to talk to a lawyer first and get to know the laws.

I have never made another post about this kind of stuff at all.

Quoting idunno1234:

Look OP, I don't know what game you are playing but this is the third version of the same post that you have posted on this site in about a week.  This time instead of MIchigan and your 18 year old daughter, its a nephew in Mississippi.

People keep telling you the same answers on all three threads and you keep arguing with them.  There is absolutely no law enforcement agency which will waste its time going after parents of an errant young adult so either accept this or continue to lie to yourself if that it what you wish to do. 

What exactly is it that you are looking for??  Just tell yourself the answer you want to hear and stop wasting everyone else's time.

idunno1234
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Your writing style and the circumstances are almost identical.  I have never seen anyone post on this topic before, then all of a sudden three within a week or so from an anon, the same general circumstances of each post (an errant 18 year old child in a state that considers 18 year olds minors) and your replies to the responses are literally identical.

I hate dishonesty and I hate my time being wasted on people who are only posting to hear what they want to hear and keep reposting the same situation because no one is telling them what they want to hear.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol I am not playing any games. I am just posting to try to help my sister out. There might not be anyone that will go after her that is why she is going to talk to a lawyer first and get to know the laws.

Quoting idunno1234:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If you hate it so much why open the posts? I am sorry that people post on the same topics. I am sorry that you have only seen them this week but that doesnt mean I have posted them all.

Have a nice day

Quoting idunno1234:

Your writing style and the circumstances are almost identical.  I have never seen anyone post on this topic before, then all of a sudden three within a week or so from an anon, the same general circumstances of each post (an errant 18 year old child in a state that considers 18 year olds minors) and your replies to the responses are literally identical.

I hate dishonesty and I hate my time being wasted on people who are only posting to hear what they want to hear and keep reposting the same situation because no one is telling them what they want to hear.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting idunno1234:

almburr
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Mississippi is 19. There are I think 4 states that have the 19 age for adult. It's a grey area. They can be held accountable as an adult.
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM
That's insane. I hope she gets it figured out. He sounds like a brat. Is that why she wants him out?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes he could go to the police and my sister can be charged. He doesnt want to move out and he is the one who said he would report her so she went to the police station and asked them. I dont think it is horse shit at all. She is going to meet with a lawyer to see what options she has. She might have to emancipate him which should be an easy process.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Mmm that's horse shit. If you kick him out what the hell is he going to do? Go to the police? My mommy wont let me come home!

Uh no. My mom kicked me out at 16 and she kicked my little brother out several times. And even had to call the police to remove him from the yard when he was 17. So yea that's horse shit.

I've lived in Mississippi my entire life. Never once have I heard of anyone catching shit for kicking their kid out.

Quoting Anonymous:

No the legal age of majority is 21. That is stated clearly in the law. However you still have many freedoms at 18. You can move out on your own but according to the police a parent can not kick you out.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Not true. In Mississippi you are a legal adult at the age of 18. However you do need a parents permission to marry if tour under the age of 21

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN