Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

TMJ?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 9 Replies
Holy cow. Does anyone have TMJ "dysfunction"?

Anything you do to relieve symptoms? My jaw hurts so bad, it feels so tight. Only on one side. It feels like it's going to lock soon..

Clearly, I need to go to the dentist but that's not an option today. What do they even do for you anyway? I've had this since middle school but it seems like sometimes it's fine - can you have "flare ups"?
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I have a mouth guard that my dentist specially fitted me for.  I think some larger pharmacies sell generic guards yu can wear to bed.  I need to sleep with my guard in every night....if I miss more than a night I am in pain.

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I'm not advertising ANY of these...or suggesting one in particular....but here is a link to show the over the counter ones you can get...

http://mouthguardsforteethgrinding.com/

heydooney
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM
My mom has the worst case any of her doctors have seen. She is in chronic pain and hasn't eaten solid food in years. One thing she has is a TENS unit which sort of shocks the muscles and relieves a little pain. Get it checked as soon as you can. My mom couldn't get treatment for so long because her insurance wouldn't cover it, and now it is irreversible.
rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I use a mouth guard at night. It helps a ton. It's just one of the cheap ones you can get at the drug store. I was also given a RX for naproxen for flare ups. I only use the mouth guard when I start experiencing pain (for me, it travels into my ear and is some of the absolute WORST pain). A heating pad also does wonders for immediate pain relief. It only helps while the heat is on you (then maybe a few minutes after) but it works well. Hope you feel better soon!
AuntReese
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Yeah, that is my fear at this point. I haven't gotten any sort of treatment... I had braces as a teen and that seem to make it worse - then correct it.. So, maybe it's not terrible yet.

Anyway, thanks for telling me that. I tend to put things off as well...

Quoting heydooney:

My mom has the worst case any of her doctors have seen. She is in chronic pain and hasn't eaten solid food in years. One thing she has is a TENS unit which sort of shocks the muscles and relieves a little pain. Get it checked as soon as you can. My mom couldn't get treatment for so long because her insurance wouldn't cover it, and now it is irreversible.
AuntReese
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Thanks so much for the advice.

Quoting rebeccasmommy09:

I use a mouth guard at night. It helps a ton. It's just one of the cheap ones you can get at the drug store. I was also given a RX for naproxen for flare ups. I only use the mouth guard when I start experiencing pain (for me, it travels into my ear and is some of the absolute WORST pain). A heating pad also does wonders for immediate pain relief. It only helps while the heat is on you (then maybe a few minutes after) but it works well. Hope you feel better soon!
AuntReese
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Thank you, I'll check it out.

Quoting TableforSeven:

I'm not advertising ANY of these...or suggesting one in particular....but here is a link to show the over the counter ones you can get...

http://mouthguardsforteethgrinding.com/

momwriter
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM
They sanded my tooth down so it hit the other tooth evenly. Now I grind my teeth at night and wear a night guard
AuntReese
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Omgosh.. This is my problem! My teeth do not meet evenly when I bite down. I can't just open and close my mouth without catching out readjusting my bite. That probably wouldn't make sense to others but since you had a tooth filed down maybe you know what I'm talking about.
Does that make it easier for cavities in that tooth or no?

Quoting momwriter:

They sanded my tooth down so it hit the other tooth evenly. Now I grind my teeth at night and wear a night guard
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)