Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i once got someone fired

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was a manager for a retail store that bought and sold gently used clothes. A customer was selling us her clothes and as I was checking her clothes over, we were talking. She said she worked at this store called The Buckle. I said, ' I like that store but I hate that you can't just go in there and look around without an employee following you. I just want to look at what you have, you know?' She told me that she hates people like me, what is the point of doing that, it waste their time because they get paid commission and people like me are a waste of their time. That shed rather people like me stay the hell out of her store.
Later, I started thinking, wow....if one of my employees ever said that to someone, after telling them where they work, I'd be pissed. That she was painting The Buckle and their employees in a bad light.
So I called the store, there was only one in my area, asked for the manager and told her what happen. I said, I'm coming to you as one manager to another. You just might want to talk to your employees about how they represent your store and if they want to bad mouth customers then they shouldn't say where they work.
The manager was mad and embarrassed for her employees behavior and thanked me for telling her. She got fired and I know because she came into my work, bitching and yelling at me over it. I laughed in her face.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

So this store manager just took your word for it, and fired his employee without any proof such a conversation even took place? UH HUH.

ExquisiteMomof2
by PHOTOGMOM on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Actually on some states like mine, they are right to work states, which mean they can Fire you for anything, including slandering the business, even on your time off.

Quoting LaMerica:

I doubt it. There are laws that protect free speech. Employees cannot be fired for what they do and say off the clock, especially since it can't be proven. Oh, and BTW, the type of store that you say that you work in is called a consignment store. My family owned one at one time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
False. People get fired all the time for just porting shit on Facebook. Not that it's right, but it happens.

Quoting LaMerica:

I doubt it. There are laws that protect free speech. Employees cannot be fired for what they do and say off the clock, especially since it can't be proven. Oh, and BTW, the type of store that you say that you work in is called a consignment store. My family owned one at one time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I think you are an idiot, that is what I think

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I had the employee names. When the girl came back in to yell at me, I guess what happen was her manager called her on to ask her about it and she admitted what she said because she didn't see a problem with it.
The manager, when I told her what the girl said was appalled. Plus I told her it was all recorded

Quoting KairisMama:

So this store manager just took your word for it, and fired his employee without any proof such a conversation even took place? UH HUH.

LaMerica
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

And if people knew that that is illegal, more would take action.

Quoting Anonymous:

False. People get fired all the time for just porting shit on Facebook. Not that it's right, but it happens.

Quoting LaMerica:

LaMerica
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I live in a right to work state, too. What your employer doesn't tell you about that is far more detrimental than what they do tell you. I have looked up my rights in my state. Once you get past the probation period, they have to go through certain channels before thay can just fire you. They can't fire you for saying something that they don't like on your own time.

Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

Actually on some states like mine, they are right to work states, which mean they can Fire you for anything, including slandering the business, even on your time off.

Quoting LaMerica:

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Yeah, I don't like sales people following me either.  If they want my sales commission then they'd better back off, otherwise when I'm ready to check out, I will make the sale with the sales clerk that wasn't up my ass.

LaMerica
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Then what they did is actually actionable if she was past her probationary period. People need to know their rights.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not true if you sign paper work stating you will not slander in that case you will be terminated my friend still has her work hat on but chaned in to street clothes when I picked her up from mcdonalds her work and she was fired because someone heard her complaining about work and she was still in "uniform"

Quoting LaMerica:

ExquisiteMomof2
by PHOTOGMOM on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Actually they can. Especially If it's written into a policy, that you signed, then they can. I was a GM for nearly a decade.

Quoting LaMerica:

I live in a right to work state, too. What your employer doesn't tell you about that is far more detrimental than what they do tell you. I have looked up my rights in my state. Once you get past the probation period, they have to go through certain channels before thay can just fire you. They can't fire you for saying something that they don't like on your own time.

Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

Quoting LaMerica:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)