Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i once got someone fired

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was a manager for a retail store that bought and sold gently used clothes. A customer was selling us her clothes and as I was checking her clothes over, we were talking. She said she worked at this store called The Buckle. I said, ' I like that store but I hate that you can't just go in there and look around without an employee following you. I just want to look at what you have, you know?' She told me that she hates people like me, what is the point of doing that, it waste their time because they get paid commission and people like me are a waste of their time. That shed rather people like me stay the hell out of her store.
Later, I started thinking, wow....if one of my employees ever said that to someone, after telling them where they work, I'd be pissed. That she was painting The Buckle and their employees in a bad light.
So I called the store, there was only one in my area, asked for the manager and told her what happen. I said, I'm coming to you as one manager to another. You just might want to talk to your employees about how they represent your store and if they want to bad mouth customers then they shouldn't say where they work.
The manager was mad and embarrassed for her employees behavior and thanked me for telling her. She got fired and I know because she came into my work, bitching and yelling at me over it. I laughed in her face.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM
If she did it at her place of work, on the clock, I would understand. What she does/says on her own time is her business. Nobody would have a job if they got fired for bad mouthing their company.
RMC007
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I once accidently cut someone off and they followed me into the parking lot of my job. The idiot came in and complained to my manager that I should be fired because I cut him off. He was asked to leave, and he was banned for life.

Anyway, I can't believe you called the Buckle for something one of their employees did outside of work. I also think it was pretty crappy that her manager fired her without any witnesses. You must have a lot of extra time on your hands. To me, it sounds like you were putting down the store the girl worked in, and she was defending it. Wrong on both ends, but not worth a phone call to try and get her into trouble.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM
*You* didn't get her fired. Her attitude and her mouth got her fired.
Trying4onemore
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
No, also you should lose your job by using information (the paper that showed her name that you clearly used to call the other manager) that's a breech of privacy
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Yup , I had to sign a paper saying I wouldn't use social media to talk shit about my job.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not true if you sign paper work stating you will not slander in that case you will be terminated my friend still has her work hat on but chaned in to street clothes when I picked her up from mcdonalds her work and she was fired because someone heard her complaining about work and she was still in "uniform"

Quoting LaMerica:

I doubt it. There are laws that protect free speech. Employees cannot be fired for what they do and say off the clock, especially since it can't be proven. Oh, and BTW, the type of store that you say that you work in is called a consignment store. My family owned one at one time.

Joelskatysmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

The Martin's Clothing store chain in our area was terrible about stuff like that! It drove me bonkers! We used to shop there a bunch because their credit works where you have 6 months free interest (if you pay it off before the 6 months is up). They would approach me in the store asking if they could write their number on the tags of the items in my buggy. I tried avoiding the ones I recognized, then other times I'd lie and say someones already written their number. I don't mind if the person helps me in some way. They could at least ask if they could help me in some way, but the first thing out of their mouth is "Can I put my number on your tags?" pisses me off!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM
You're right! They totally stalk you in The Buckle!
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

No I wouldn't have and honestly think it was pretty sh*tty of you.

Quoting Anonymous:

So would you have complained to her manager for saying those things? For saying how much she hates people like yourself, who look through the store without always buying?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM
People get fired for bad mouthing their employer/patients/customers on social media. I don't see how doing it face to face is any less shitty or unprofessional. I'm guessing if the boss believed you and fired her so quickly that he had other issues with her, too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
In an at will state they certainly can be, dear.

Quoting LaMerica:

I doubt it. There are laws that protect free speech. Employees cannot be fired for what they do and say off the clock, especially since it can't be proven. Oh, and BTW, the type of store that you say that you work in is called a consignment store. My family owned one at one time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN