Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i once got someone fired

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was a manager for a retail store that bought and sold gently used clothes. A customer was selling us her clothes and as I was checking her clothes over, we were talking. She said she worked at this store called The Buckle. I said, ' I like that store but I hate that you can't just go in there and look around without an employee following you. I just want to look at what you have, you know?' She told me that she hates people like me, what is the point of doing that, it waste their time because they get paid commission and people like me are a waste of their time. That shed rather people like me stay the hell out of her store.
Later, I started thinking, wow....if one of my employees ever said that to someone, after telling them where they work, I'd be pissed. That she was painting The Buckle and their employees in a bad light.
So I called the store, there was only one in my area, asked for the manager and told her what happen. I said, I'm coming to you as one manager to another. You just might want to talk to your employees about how they represent your store and if they want to bad mouth customers then they shouldn't say where they work.
The manager was mad and embarrassed for her employees behavior and thanked me for telling her. She got fired and I know because she came into my work, bitching and yelling at me over it. I laughed in her face.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Replies (61-63):
cassandrans
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you aren't held responsible for what you say. Sure, you can say whatever the hell you want and you'll pay for the consequences of those statements.

Quoting LaMerica:

I doubt it. There are laws that protect free speech. Employees cannot be fired for what they do and say off the clock, especially since it can't be proven. Oh, and BTW, the type of store that you say that you work in is called a consignment store. My family owned one at one time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM

"Right to work" -- you keep using those words...I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

"At will" is the phrase you're trying to pretend you understand...

Quoting LaMerica:

Not if they are past their probation period. Fortunately for many employers, and unfortunately for many employees, many people are unaware of their rights in the work force. If more people actually took the time to learn their rights and demanded that those rights be honored, many employers would be in a ton of trouble. I have had an employer in my state, which is a right to work state, attempt to enact disciplinary action for a text that I sent outside of work to another employee who was my friend and had quit that week. It didn't get far once I told them that my family keeps a lawyer on retainer and that they have no say in my personal life.

Quoting Anonymous:

In an at will state they certainly can be, dear.

Quoting LaMerica:

I doubt it. There are laws that protect free speech. Employees cannot be fired for what they do and say off the clock, especially since it can't be proven. Oh, and BTW, the type of store that you say that you work in is called a consignment store. My family owned one at one time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Way to go getting someone fired right before Christmas. Great freakin job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)