Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have to get rid of my doggie :(

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom called me up and said my pup has to go :(( (yes, I live with my parents so forget anything you read further and go ahead and focus and bash that).

Anyway, he is a Boxer/Great Pyr. mix. He killed a cat outside in the backyard. Well, my mom said it was severely mauled and won't make it. Either way...

He's also killed a squirrel. Apparently, doing what dogs do is frowned on. I've read Great Pyr's are bred to protect the farm from predators so he has that instinct.

Unfortunately, he has been quite aggressive with the other two dogs. He hasn't fought the other two in quite some time but she's freaking out and I kind of agree with her. Who knows when he'll be aggressive again and with who. It could be my DS next and I won't have it.

It just makes me so sad. Other than being animal aggressive, we cannot have anyone over to the house because he will literally bark for DAYS if that person remains in the house. He *IS* an awesome dog. He obeys commands very well, he is mild mannered other than the main issue. I have established my dominance in the pack so I have zero issues with him.

I feel awful. I won't take him to the pound or humane society bc either way, he'll be put down. It's going to be very difficult to place him with anyone bc he needs room to run, no animals or no young children families. I'm thinking a rescue of some sort who may take him.

My heart is breaking into pieces. That's my bud.
:((

ETA:

1. Thank you for those who've been understanding and understand what a prey drive is and that this is "normal" dog behavior especially for his combination of breed. Unfortunately, he is aggressive with our other two dogs, which is why I have no other choice but to get rid of him. He does snarl at people at the vet and it's just too risky to keep him and honestly, I would 100% keep him and work with him if I did have an option. Since I do live with my parents, I keep up the tride and true CM rule of "their house, their rules". I'll be living with them for another year until I finish school. I'm working on getting a job now that will work with my already full hours that I have with school and start saving to get out but it won't be quick enough that I'll have a say in him leaving or staying.

I do take full responsibility for his other actions other than the prey drive. He has a very high prey drive but I should have socialized him much, much more but I didn't. So yes, I do feel like I've failed my dog but at this point, I can no longer do anything about it because of the way he acts out in public and with my limited amount of time I'm home.

I'm very grateful for my parents taking care of him while I'm gone but my dad claims "he can't handle him" while he's home alone and will crate him and one of our other dogs for 12 hours or more until someone comes home. It's not fair to him. Btw, when he's out of his crate, he doesn't do anything but lay down. He's not rambuncious in the house so I have NO CLUE wtf he's talking about. He's too young and too energetic to be crated for so long. I play ball with him outside as much as I can to get some of his energy out but it doesn't always pan out.

I've been pleading my case with my parents while I've been on shift and tried to when I just got home this morning. I'll be back on shift at 11 so I won't have much time. I'm doing some research before I have to go again because I want him to have the best tranisition possible. He deserves that much. I love him with all of my heart and although some of you are crazy, I'd rather him be rehomed in a place where he's comfortable, he gets to run and isn't afraid of strangers. That's my hope.

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I've owned dogs, and I've helped my aunt raise dogs. I've never seen a dog that felt the need to maul another animal to death.

So, no. It isn't "What dogs do"

Quoting FelineTopic:

Cats are natural enemies to dogs...

So...

Yes...

That is what dogs do....

If the squirrel wandered into the dog's territory, then again, yes, the dog acted naturally in attacking the squirrel...

Quoting Pandapanda:

Yeah I agree.. dogs shouldnt be mauling or killing other animals, especially ones much smaller than them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your aggressive dog mauled two animals to death. That isn't "What dogs do".

FelineTopic
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I have two dogs...

I can't imagine having to get rid of them...
Our own two have killed two cats that happened to have found their way into the yard...

And have had to rescue two other cats from them...

But...

I think in your case, especially if your dog is trying to be the dominant dog, and your parents not having any of that doggy stuff, you should rehome the guy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elfling811
by Niki on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Boooo!

I am so sorry. That sucks!
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I am a little taken aback that you think it's okay for your dog to be aggressive. Yes the squirrel might have been natural instinct.

The cat, I am not entirely sure but my dogs have never shown agreesion toward my cat, the other way around yes but he was establishing his role as pack leader and the dogs submitted.

Aggression toward their two dogs, that's not a good sign. If their dogs were their before he came, they have to protect their own pets before yours. 

He's not an awesome dog if he is preventing you from having company either. If he is barking nonstop at people who are in your house that's not good. My pit bull barks at people who come up to my door and then he stops when they are in the house. 

BeAmour
by Tonya on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Great Pyr's protect from predators in the territory by any means necessary. To him, that's his back yard that he protects. I'm not condoning what he has done bc I'm not happy, at all. It's his breed. It's a horrible trait and if I had corrected it more aggressively the first time he fought the other dogs, I think he'd be better.

I'm certainly not arguing that he's aggressive, which is why I'm not fighting getting rid of him bc I don't want it to grown and end up killing the smaller dog or him hurting the larger dog and her killing him, which will lead to her having to be put down. It's not a good situation. I just know I failed him as his Alpha and it sucks.

Quoting Anonymous:

FelineTopic
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Then you should know that dogs are natural predators and do have natural enemies and if given a chance might act...

If you have raised a dog around other animals, then that has been trained out of them...

But...

If not, their instinct will come forward..

Quoting Anonymous:

I've owned dogs, and I've helped my aunt raise dogs. I've never seen a dog that felt the need to maul another animal to death.

So, no. It isn't "What dogs do"

Quoting FelineTopic:

Cats are natural enemies to dogs...

So...

Yes...

That is what dogs do....

If the squirrel wandered into the dog's territory, then again, yes, the dog acted naturally in attacking the squirrel...

Quoting Pandapanda:

Yeah I agree.. dogs shouldnt be mauling or killing other animals, especially ones much smaller than them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

the humane society doesnt put down dogs. They have a foster home system.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
He's more fond of squirrels :/

Quoting saraface5383:

Yeah :/ and great pyrs usually like cats.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL-there are farm animals all over the world who are fine with their owners and death on groundhogs squirrells and yes cats...

My Father's THERAPY dog (tested and passed) killed a rabbit once. She has never once snapped at, growled at or even thought about harming a person-and she has had her ears and fur pulled while working.

The vet was shaving a hot spot on her and cut her and she didn't react violently.

Other animal aggression does not always translate into people aggression.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Killing a squirrel or a cat doesn't make the dog vicious, either does establishing hierarchy in a pack.

As long as he's not being vicious (drawing blood, locking jaws, tearing skin) from the other dogs its not agressive.

The barking when someone comes over, pain in the ASSS i agree Nico isn't much of a stranger person, but no way in hell I'd get rid of him for strangers.

The decision sounds like its made, and I feel bad for you I do, but i feel REALLY bad for that poor dog. I just really hope there is someone on the other end of this trip that is willing to work and rehab him so he isn't put down, unfortunatley once a dog has a lable... it's not a good sign.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)