Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have to get rid of my doggie :(

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom called me up and said my pup has to go :(( (yes, I live with my parents so forget anything you read further and go ahead and focus and bash that).

Anyway, he is a Boxer/Great Pyr. mix. He killed a cat outside in the backyard. Well, my mom said it was severely mauled and won't make it. Either way...

He's also killed a squirrel. Apparently, doing what dogs do is frowned on. I've read Great Pyr's are bred to protect the farm from predators so he has that instinct.

Unfortunately, he has been quite aggressive with the other two dogs. He hasn't fought the other two in quite some time but she's freaking out and I kind of agree with her. Who knows when he'll be aggressive again and with who. It could be my DS next and I won't have it.

It just makes me so sad. Other than being animal aggressive, we cannot have anyone over to the house because he will literally bark for DAYS if that person remains in the house. He *IS* an awesome dog. He obeys commands very well, he is mild mannered other than the main issue. I have established my dominance in the pack so I have zero issues with him.

I feel awful. I won't take him to the pound or humane society bc either way, he'll be put down. It's going to be very difficult to place him with anyone bc he needs room to run, no animals or no young children families. I'm thinking a rescue of some sort who may take him.

My heart is breaking into pieces. That's my bud.
:((

ETA:

1. Thank you for those who've been understanding and understand what a prey drive is and that this is "normal" dog behavior especially for his combination of breed. Unfortunately, he is aggressive with our other two dogs, which is why I have no other choice but to get rid of him. He does snarl at people at the vet and it's just too risky to keep him and honestly, I would 100% keep him and work with him if I did have an option. Since I do live with my parents, I keep up the tride and true CM rule of "their house, their rules". I'll be living with them for another year until I finish school. I'm working on getting a job now that will work with my already full hours that I have with school and start saving to get out but it won't be quick enough that I'll have a say in him leaving or staying.

I do take full responsibility for his other actions other than the prey drive. He has a very high prey drive but I should have socialized him much, much more but I didn't. So yes, I do feel like I've failed my dog but at this point, I can no longer do anything about it because of the way he acts out in public and with my limited amount of time I'm home.

I'm very grateful for my parents taking care of him while I'm gone but my dad claims "he can't handle him" while he's home alone and will crate him and one of our other dogs for 12 hours or more until someone comes home. It's not fair to him. Btw, when he's out of his crate, he doesn't do anything but lay down. He's not rambuncious in the house so I have NO CLUE wtf he's talking about. He's too young and too energetic to be crated for so long. I play ball with him outside as much as I can to get some of his energy out but it doesn't always pan out.

I've been pleading my case with my parents while I've been on shift and tried to when I just got home this morning. I'll be back on shift at 11 so I won't have much time. I'm doing some research before I have to go again because I want him to have the best tranisition possible. He deserves that much. I love him with all of my heart and although some of you are crazy, I'd rather him be rehomed in a place where he's comfortable, he gets to run and isn't afraid of strangers. That's my hope.

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (121-125):
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM
So very sorry momma. Try w rescue. Hugs!
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
You can't be sure a rescue won't help until you call and ask.
As for the rest of your response, you need to read more carefully. She doesn't WANT to rehome her dog but is not being given any choice.

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like this is not a dog issue but an owner issue. Its called socializeing! Bring the dog out to meet ppl, be in different situations, animals.. if u cant even have ppl over how do u think u will rehome it? Rescues? Really? Most dont take in pets, they take in death row, abuse/neglect/mill pups/dogs, not someones f up, thats why they are called rescues and not shelters/pounds.

And as far as breed having anything to do with this. No breed has nothing ti do with it. I have 2 so called aggressive breeds a pit bul n a shar pei- both will help carry the shit to ur car n lick ya to death. N my "oh so gentle giant" saint bernard that are soo sweet lol i feel bad for the person who mistakes him for beethoven. He is not ur stereo type saint, his job is make sure me n the kids r safe, n thats what he does, i cant bring him into town n let ppl meet him, but he visits tiwn often with my bf and our visitors here know if im alone he will not b friendly. Its called training and accepting the friend u created.

Before jus dumping him to anyone that might take him why not try obediance classes. Hes a dog they hunt, they chew up little critters that invade their yard, they bark at the unknown. Thats like saying my cat hises at strangers (n he does) and kills moles (to dumb to catch a.mouse tho lol) i need to.dump him! He might attack my kids or me. Sounds rediculous! The ppl in your house are his pack! R u ginna dump ur kids when they drop a plate or get into a fight at school? Come on ppl realy!? Tell ur mom get over it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Iv been in them shoes, "the dog MUST GO" yup my dog went to a friends house, untill i got.back on my feet. When the dog is behaved and not full of issues that could/should have been addressed friends/family welcome it into their home. The dog that stayed at my friends was my gaurd, he hated ppl, his choice would have left him n i hermits from the world. My choice was train him to deal with ppl. Id tell him when to b nice, n hed obey-grumbling but never aggressive, without being told hed snarl if anyone came to close. He was very well behaved, but my mom feared him n wouldnt let him stay. Mind u she was afraid of him as a little puppy as well.
I gave my friend his basic commands, we spent the day on the farm playing n after that they never had a problem. N i held to my commitment Of his lifetime.. that became his second home, when i took him back a month later he would go visiting back often.

Quoting Lauriemom: You can't be sure a rescue won't help until you call and ask.

As for the rest of your response, you need to read more carefully. She doesn't WANT to rehome her dog but is not being given any choice.

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like this is not a dog issue but an owner issue. Its called socializeing! Bring the dog out to meet ppl, be in different situations, animals.. if u cant even have ppl over how do u think u will rehome it? Rescues? Really? Most dont take in pets, they take in death row, abuse/neglect/mill pups/dogs, not someones f up, thats why they are called rescues and not shelters/pounds.

And as far as breed having anything to do with this. No breed has nothing ti do with it. I have 2 so called aggressive breeds a pit bul n a shar pei- both will help carry the shit to ur car n lick ya to death. N my "oh so gentle giant" saint bernard that are soo sweet lol i feel bad for the person who mistakes him for beethoven. He is not ur stereo type saint, his job is make sure me n the kids r safe, n thats what he does, i cant bring him into town n let ppl meet him, but he visits tiwn often with my bf and our visitors here know if im alone he will not b friendly. Its called training and accepting the friend u created.

Before jus dumping him to anyone that might take him why not try obediance classes. Hes a dog they hunt, they chew up little critters that invade their yard, they bark at the unknown. Thats like saying my cat hises at strangers (n he does) and kills moles (to dumb to catch a.mouse tho lol) i need to.dump him! He might attack my kids or me. Sounds rediculous! The ppl in your house are his pack! R u ginna dump ur kids when they drop a plate or get into a fight at school? Come on ppl realy!? Tell ur mom get over it!
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs! We got a puppy a few years ago and she was very aggressive towards my kids so we had to rehome her. I caught all kinds of shit. But my kids come first. I hope you find him a great home.
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I am sure if OP has that option she will do it.

I agree a dog is a LIFETIME commitment. But OP is trying everythingh she can, she is not a bad person.

Quoting Anonymous: Iv been in them shoes, "the dog MUST GO" yup my dog went to a friends house, untill i got.back on my feet. When the dog is behaved and not full of issues that could/should have been addressed friends/family welcome it into their home. The dog that stayed at my friends was my gaurd, he hated ppl, his choice would have left him n i hermits from the world. My choice was train him to deal with ppl. Id tell him when to b nice, n hed obey-grumbling but never aggressive, without being told hed snarl if anyone came to close. He was very well behaved, but my mom feared him n wouldnt let him stay. Mind u she was afraid of him as a little puppy as well.
I gave my friend his basic commands, we spent the day on the farm playing n after that they never had a problem. N i held to my commitment Of his lifetime.. that became his second home, when i took him back a month later he would go visiting back often.

Quoting Lauriemom: You can't be sure a rescue won't help until you call and ask.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN