Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have to get rid of my doggie :(

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom called me up and said my pup has to go :(( (yes, I live with my parents so forget anything you read further and go ahead and focus and bash that).

Anyway, he is a Boxer/Great Pyr. mix. He killed a cat outside in the backyard. Well, my mom said it was severely mauled and won't make it. Either way...

He's also killed a squirrel. Apparently, doing what dogs do is frowned on. I've read Great Pyr's are bred to protect the farm from predators so he has that instinct.

Unfortunately, he has been quite aggressive with the other two dogs. He hasn't fought the other two in quite some time but she's freaking out and I kind of agree with her. Who knows when he'll be aggressive again and with who. It could be my DS next and I won't have it.

It just makes me so sad. Other than being animal aggressive, we cannot have anyone over to the house because he will literally bark for DAYS if that person remains in the house. He *IS* an awesome dog. He obeys commands very well, he is mild mannered other than the main issue. I have established my dominance in the pack so I have zero issues with him.

I feel awful. I won't take him to the pound or humane society bc either way, he'll be put down. It's going to be very difficult to place him with anyone bc he needs room to run, no animals or no young children families. I'm thinking a rescue of some sort who may take him.

My heart is breaking into pieces. That's my bud.
:((

ETA:

1. Thank you for those who've been understanding and understand what a prey drive is and that this is "normal" dog behavior especially for his combination of breed. Unfortunately, he is aggressive with our other two dogs, which is why I have no other choice but to get rid of him. He does snarl at people at the vet and it's just too risky to keep him and honestly, I would 100% keep him and work with him if I did have an option. Since I do live with my parents, I keep up the tride and true CM rule of "their house, their rules". I'll be living with them for another year until I finish school. I'm working on getting a job now that will work with my already full hours that I have with school and start saving to get out but it won't be quick enough that I'll have a say in him leaving or staying.

I do take full responsibility for his other actions other than the prey drive. He has a very high prey drive but I should have socialized him much, much more but I didn't. So yes, I do feel like I've failed my dog but at this point, I can no longer do anything about it because of the way he acts out in public and with my limited amount of time I'm home.

I'm very grateful for my parents taking care of him while I'm gone but my dad claims "he can't handle him" while he's home alone and will crate him and one of our other dogs for 12 hours or more until someone comes home. It's not fair to him. Btw, when he's out of his crate, he doesn't do anything but lay down. He's not rambuncious in the house so I have NO CLUE wtf he's talking about. He's too young and too energetic to be crated for so long. I play ball with him outside as much as I can to get some of his energy out but it doesn't always pan out.

I've been pleading my case with my parents while I've been on shift and tried to when I just got home this morning. I'll be back on shift at 11 so I won't have much time. I'm doing some research before I have to go again because I want him to have the best tranisition possible. He deserves that much. I love him with all of my heart and although some of you are crazy, I'd rather him be rehomed in a place where he's comfortable, he gets to run and isn't afraid of strangers. That's my hope.

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You feel bad for your dog, but no remorse for the poor cat that was mauled to death and had to die in horrible pain? Makes sense.
lanimommy81
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry. 

We had to put our dog down a few years ago, it was really hard on me, but he had become too aggressive. 

I hope you find the best solution for him and you. 

In our case putting him down, sadly, was best because his life would have been miserable.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM
He follows commands *I* give, allow me to rephrase that.

Only one fight has happened in my presence and I was able to stop it by my commands immediately.

Unfortunately, he thinks he's Alpha when I'm gone.

Quoting Anonymous:

What commands is he obeying by barking for days because company comes over? Or when he attacks other animals?

Sorry, no. No way I would let a dog like that around my children, even if he's never shown any aggression towards them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

This dog would certainly kill a squirrell if he could-or a cat. Look how dangerous he is!

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I have rescued dogs from the Humane Society. They put down "dog aggressive" dogs and save the Human Aggressive ones. Actually, no, they take the "dog aggressive" ones to Animal Control so they can be put down there. That way they can keep their 100% no kill rating. The HSUS are about as much of nutjobs as PETA. 

Quoting Owl_Feather:

the humane society doesnt put down dogs. They have a foster home system.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You feel bad for your dog, but no remorse for the poor cat that was mauled to death and had to die in horrible pain? Makes sense.

I have repeatedly told my neighbors that their cat cannot be allowed to wander OVER my 6 foot fence.  I can't promise my dogs wouldn't hurt it.

They didn't listen about the dangers of letting their cat out-and it was hit by a car and killed.

saraface5383
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Can you post a picture of him? I wanna see what the mix looks like!
BeAmour
by Tonya on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I absolutely have remorse. I felt awful for the cat, especially when my mom said it was still alive and the condition it was in. There's no external wounds but it was definitely in bad shape. I told my mom to get my gun from my closet and put it out of its misery. I'm a softy for animals.

Quoting Anonymous:

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

The branch in my town rescues dogs from the shelter the best they can. If they are aggressive it is noted and even they get good homes most of the time. Even if just a foster home.  It is so sad how many shelters these days are overpopulated and animals euthanized :(

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I have rescued dogs from the Humane Society. They put down "dog aggressive" dogs and save the Human Aggressive ones. Actually, no, they take the "dog aggressive" ones to Animal Control so they can be put down there. That way they can keep their 100% no kill rating. The HSUS are about as much of nutjobs as PETA. 

Quoting Owl_Feather:

the humane society doesnt put down dogs. They have a foster home system.

MelanieJK
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Have you looked into training?     Dogs can be trained not to chase cats etc. so if it's just natural aggression it might be something he can learn to channel into other things.      You say he needs room to run.    Whereever that is is likely to have squirrels and cats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)