Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WHY DO YOU NEED FEMINISM? ETA

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 304 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm new to the feminist movement, but I love it and I think it's so important. Misogyny and sexism are so ingrained in our society. I'm sure we all experience it in our everyday lives whether we realize it or not. And this is why we need feminism. 

WHY DO YOU NEED FEMINISM?

ETA: 

Wow. This thread did not go where I thought it would! I had really hoped people would come with reasons why they DO need feminism. Not why so many of you feel you DON'T. 

First, let me clarify. My list is small potatoes. Obviously there are bigger issues that I take much more seriously. I only meant to eximplify the everyday sexism that is mostly unoticed or even accepted in society, especially within the home. It's not a huge war. I don't throw a fit everytime someone imposes gender roles on me and my family. Or protest every statement that implies I am inferior to my husband. Or even rage against the unfair labels that are used to manipulate me into quiet submission. But I think it's important to be aware of these things too. Because this underlying sexism is not a mentality I want my children to grow up with.

I can't help but feel like a lot of you have a lot of misconceptions regarding the feminist movement. I think the most obvious being that we are sexist man haters with a vendetta against SAHMs. I mean, seriously, I'm a SAHM. LOL I love my husband. He loves me and my feminist ideas. I like girly things. I shave my armpits. These are all just stereotypes. You can be all these or none of these things and still be a feminist. They do not define the movement.

I think it's also important to remember that there are extremists in EVERYTHING. And they are usually the loudest. But it's never a good idea to let your opinion on a subject be defined by those with most extreme ideas. Life is full of many shades of grey.

There's a lot more to say but I think enough is being said in the comments. Just thought I'd add my tidbit here. :)

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SecularMomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM
8 moms liked this

My list is mostly small things. But I think these small things show the depth of the problem. So... I need feminism because....

I need feminism because my FIL walked past my husband to hand me the baby with a dirty diaper.

I need feminism because my husband gets annoyed and calls my son a "sissy" everytime he cries or shows emotion.

I need feminism because every single toy my daughter recieves as a gift is pink and princessy even though Disney princesses are only one of her many interests which also include Spiderman and Legos.

I need feminism because when asked why our couples therapist directed all his questions at my husband, he responded, "Because he is the head of the household!"

I need feminism because if I have any emotional reaction to anything, I'm labeled as "over sensitive", "unstable", or "crazy."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
4 moms liked this
Because until women are paid 1:1 to a man, and until they have true control over their bodies, feminism is needed.
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm a feminist, but I only need feminism if it's intersectional and prioritizes women of color and trans women.
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I do not like lables. But women who strive to be equal to me lack ambition.

Most of your list, you and your husband can actually correct without calling it feminism.

PrimmednPunked
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I need feminism because I want a career and life all my own.

I need feminism because I am raising a little girl who will need it as se steps into the world as an adult.

I need feminism because I was raise by a misogynistic asshat of a "father" who old me my place was with an abusive husband, taking care if the home and giving him(my exh) children. I don't think so.
RedMatador09
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like you are just surrounded by assholes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Ugh- just live. Quit being so uptight.
JTE11
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I need the feminism of the past, the people who fought to get women more options in life, which opened up the door for me to go to college and get degrees and do more for myself but at this point in life I am not seeing difficulties because of being a woman. I guess I just get on with living and don't spend time thinking about if I'm not getting something just because I'm a woman. I haven't really experienced hardships because of it. Other people may have but for me, not so much. It's not something I think about. I'll be interested to read what other people have to say in this post.

preacherskid
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I chose feminism because I was raised equal to my brothers, and if I am just as capable and intelligent as any man in my field (just got my BSBA) I should be treated according to my capabilities instead of my gender.  I believe that if all are equal in the eyes of God, why should we try to segment people into lines of gender, race, belief, culture, etc- we have no right to claim supremacy based on such a superficial thing.  I can't say that I need feminism- in my mind, I need air, water, food.  I chose feminism because it made sense to me; not political feminism because changing laws will not change minds no matter how hard you try, not radical feminism because that just takes the tables and reverses them, I chose cultural feminism- changing minds and changing society through changing minds is more likely to improve women's positions.  Legislating equality won't work because bigots will always find a way around laws.  Forcing equality won't work because the bigotry will still be there, waiting to take "charge" again.  Change the way society views, treats, and portrays women by changing the people who decide what advertising, movies, books, etc say about women and women will have a better chance at equality, real equality; it has to happen organically or it won't last.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't most scare the hell out of me . my cousin very big femminist love her dearly but she abuses my son and favors my daughter all because "my son is male and will use and abuse woman and never think twice " gee thanks for thinking i wont raise me son right . she thinks no matter what men are pigs no matter the age and will put down belittle any and all males around her and get into it with people over it . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN