Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Have A Sleep Transition Question About A Baby & Toddler

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
Ok so ill be having my 2nd child soon. My 1st is 2 years old. Me And dh live in a 2 bedroom. Ds has the 2nd room for his whole life. When this baby comes I'm having problems determining where she will sleep. In our room? If so for how long? I want her with me for a while but eventually in DS's room how would I make that a successful transition without completely disturbing DS? Or do I start her out in Ds's room? I know this issue is a long ways away but I was just wondering how to do this and when.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
The.Last.Rebel
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd wait until baby sleeps through the night to move her into DS's room. Less diruption to his sleep that way.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

CheesyKitty
by Cm Addict on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I kept Abby in their room right away. Lorelai (2) never once woke up when Abby cried. Lorelai won't go to sleep unless Abby is in her crib too. She loves having her close by.

If ds is a light sleeper then keep her in your room the first few months until she's sleeping longer through the night.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Yeah I thought about doing that. It took me almost 9 Mnths to get DS sleeping through the night. But it took me 6 months to get him sleeping 6 hours or so. DS wakes up when I open his door. So I think he's a light sleeper unless he didn't have a nap that day. I just dont want to disturb DS or my baby's sleep at any point. But eventually I will have too get them in the same room. So me and dh can have our privacy back.

Quoting CheesyKitty: I kept Abby in their room right away. Lorelai (2) never once woke up when Abby cried. Lorelai won't go to sleep unless Abby is in her crib too. She loves having her close by.

If ds is a light sleeper then keep her in your room the first few months until she's sleeping longer through the night.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Bump
CheesyKitty
by Cm Addict on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Then I would keep your doors cracked so he gets used to hearing baby at night.

Quoting Anonymous: Yeah I thought about doing that. It took me almost 9 Mnths to get DS sleeping through the night. But it took me 6 months to get him sleeping 6 hours or so. DS wakes up when I open his door. So I think he's a light sleeper unless he didn't have a nap that day. I just dont want to disturb DS or my baby's sleep at any point. But eventually I will have too get them in the same room. So me and dh can have our privacy back.

Quoting CheesyKitty: I kept Abby in their room right away. Lorelai (2) never once woke up when Abby cried. Lorelai won't go to sleep unless Abby is in her crib too. She loves having her close by.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Bump
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Your son is only two.  His "whole life" is not that long, so he should be able to adapt to little sis being in his room fairly easily.  You are going to need a 3-bedroom by the time he starts school or shortly after though.

chicklopez
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

We had the kids stay in the same room from the very beginning. Ive thought about putting them in seperate rooms, or putting them to bed at seperate times but eh, they go to bed fine as it is.

With YDS we've had him sleep in our room until about 9 months. When he started sleeping at longer intervals. His crying has never woken either of the other 2 up unless he's having a rough night. Even still, if he wakes one of the other 2 up, they go right back to sleep. (though there have been those really bad,  once in a long while nights, where he cries, wakes the older 2 up, and everyone refuses to go to sleep for a few hours, ugh)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)