Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stupid people hurting my daughter's feelings...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
When people see our family, they seem to focus on our oldest dd being black while we are all white obviously bringing up she's adopted. Comments from people saying things like "do you have any real kids?"

And now since I've given birth to a little girl comments have changed to "aren't you glad you finally have a daughter?"
Are you happier now you have a real kid?

We've always corrected them and now even oldest dd steps in to correct them now. We've talked about people being uneducated and all. She says she's fine but i can tell it hurts. It hurts us all
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Umm....I'm sorry.

MomOf3AngelBabe
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Unreal. 

Throat punch is what comes to mind.

BUT....ignore their stupidity. Theyre all your real kids and Im sure theyre beautiful! <3

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I'm sorry, people are so stupid sometimes but I'm sure she knows she is your daughter and she's loved. Hopefully people stop with ignorant comments
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

That is awful, people are so fucking stupid.

I know a few families whom adopted children of a different race or ethnicity.  I don't ever think twice about it, a family is a family no matter how they came about.

Ali32
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

OMG, people really say stuff like that? I come from a large, multiracial family with tons of adopted kids and none of us look like our adopted parents. I don't remember ever hearing comments like that. I do remember hearing "where'd you get this one from", like we had been purchased in a store. Just come up with some good snarky comments for them. Make sure your daughter understands your real feelings about those comments (if she hears them) and make sure she feels loved and special. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Would love to resort to violence but its not right
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Hugs. 

We have been on the other end of some rather rude and untrue remarks in regards to allergies that give my kids hope and then break their hearts (cures, outgrowing, not having anymore since we already have two with food allergies, etc).  I often wonder why people just can't keep thoughts to themselves.

seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

What kind of adult asks those questions? Have they never been in public before?

blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I am sorry. People can be assholes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM
We have received comments with her standing next to us... its ridiculous

Quoting Ali32:

OMG, people really say stuff like that? I come from a large, multiracial family with tons of adopted kids and none of us look like our adopted parents. I don't remember ever hearing comments like that. I do remember hearing "where'd you get this one from", like we had been purchased in a store. Just come up with some good snarky comments for them. Make sure your daughter understands your real feelings about those comments (if she hears them) and make sure she feels loved and special. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)