Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tell me about american girl dolls

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 83 Replies

we got that stupid catalogue in the mail not too long ago.  dd (7) has been carrying it around and begging me for the saige doll.  i broke down and bought it for her this morning.  she has no idea she's getting it....i keep telling her it's way too expensive for a doll.  so, anyway, how sturdy are these things?  will she be able to play with it all the time?  i'm way too cheap to drop $100+ for a doll -- i can't believe i actually bought it.   it's not the kind of toy that goes on a shelf or display case, is it?

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I bought an off brand one at Target. My daughter loves hers.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't know.

Bump.
nelliesmommy
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My girls love theirs. They hold up very well.
Okie-chick
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
No clue. I feel the same way. I want to get one for my daughter. But I think I'll stick to other dolls
YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM
2 moms liked this

They are extremely nicely made--- YES they are a sturdy play doll.

My daughter has 14 of them (and 2 bitty babies).  She got her first one over a decade ago and she dressed her in her Christmas attire and set her out by her Christmas tree.  She still looks almost new and that doll has been on multiple family vacations, to the beach, to school, etc. through the years.  You won't be sorry.....she's gonna LOVE it.

matofour
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Totally worth the money.
The quality far surpasses the knock offs.
Check eBay and Craigslist for accessories as well. My girls love love their dolls.
Worth every penny we have spent on american girl dolls. And with three girls, we have lots of them. My oldest is 12, it's pretty much the only thing she plays with still.
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My friend had a bunch of AG dolls that were passed on to her by her older sister. They were already 10 years old and she played with them for another 7 years and saved them for her now 5 year old daughter. So I'd say that yes, they last.

But I'm like you. Way too cheap. My mom got me a knock off from target and except for nappy hair, she's now 16 years old and still in good condition. I think my mom spent $25. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

actually, i just found out about the "our generation" dolls 20 minutes ago.  i wish i would have known and that's what i would have bought.  they're the same size as the AG doll, right?  that's the brand we will go with  when we buy clothes & accessories.

Quoting faire_jour:

I bought an off brand one at Target. My daughter loves hers.

missymackie
by Mrs. Dixon on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I had the Kirsten doll and the leg popped off...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I got Saige for my granddaughter this year too.
This is the third year I bought her one they hold out really great.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN