Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever felt like hitting your child's bully?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 78 Replies

Dad Knocks Kid Unconscious for Elbowing His Son During Game

by Ericka Sóuter 

andrew mark coltonSome people just take the whole "protective parent" role a bit too seriously. Take Mark Andrew Colton for instance. The 34-year-old Oregon dad is in jail for knocking out a teen who he believed elbowed his son during a football game. I know what you are thinking. The kids must have been in the midst of a pretty close game. Tensions were running high among the parents watching their little stars. But that couldn't be further from the truth. The circumstances that lead to this grown man attacking a child are incredibly bizarre.

The kids were actually playing a pickup game in the park when Colton's 10-year-old was hit in the face. He goes home, tells his father, who then goes to the field and demands the culprit fess up. When a 13-year-old spoke up, he clocked the kid in the temple. Oh ... I should note this child had not even touched Couton's son but he got knocked unconscious anyway.

He was taken to the hospital and the out-of-control dad was arrested and held on $25,000 bail.

Hitting a child is NEVER okay. That said, I am sure many of us have been on the verge of throttling some playground bully who seems to terrorize every kid in his path. It's infuriating, especially when your kid is his target du jour.  When our child is wronged in some way – especially when it’s physical – our knee jerk reaction is to smack the aggressor silly. But of course, common sense -- and fear of been arrested -- prevail.

This dad’s actions just send the wrong message to everyone – his kid, the other children, other parents. He wasn't even there. He has no idea what actually went down. And even if did witness the hit, responding with violence clearly isn't the answer. That only teaches the kids that hitting is how to solve problems. And honestly, how did he think this would end. Did he actually believe he was going to knock some child out and go on about his day? Ridiculous. Sending this guy to jail was definitely the right move.

Have you ever felt like hitting your child's bully? How do you handle bullies when you see them?

by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

looka dat face

LovingFamily8
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Well... Yes. I have a family whose three kids are awful. Inappropriate, and crass. I cannot stand them. I wouldn't hit them ever. But a slap is definitely a thought here and there.
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow....no, but I did get in a kids face to have a little heart to heart with him.  He kept choking my ds and the preschool teachers had many conferences with the parents, but nothing changed.  I finally saw the little boy before school one day and told him that he needed to stop putting his hands on my son and to play nice.  I wasn't mean or threatening to him.  His mom freaked out on me, saying I had no right to talk to her son.  But.....he never laid hands on my son again.

KawaiiPika
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Well doesn't he look some kinda crazy
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
When my son was 3 he was in a hot tub with a friend the same age. Out of no where he bites the SHIT out of my son's arm. It was bad, bleeding, and I was pissed. I wanted to shove his little head under the water, lol. But of course I didn't... that would be crazy.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
5 moms liked this

I would rather beat the bully's parents instead of the bully. They raised the child to be that way

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Last year teaching I had to share rooms all day because the school had added some grades/classes but didn't have room. The woman I shared most with was AWFUL and bullied the students terribly. Every now and then I helped her "misplace" her red grading pen haha. I know it was immature on my part, but she was so mean to the kids and no matter how many times the kids and other teachers when to the principal about it there wasn't really much he could do because of not really having "proof"

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
No. I can only think of one person under the age of 18 who I wouldn't be sad if they pontaneously combusted. I don't think he was as much of a "bully" as he was a sociopath who likes to see people and animals in pain. I thought of doing much more than hitting him... But obviously I didn't do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

according to the women on this site, thats not bullying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Don't assume adults are rational, reasonable people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured