Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I lost it today at the Dollar Tree! EDIT: Read link, please.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 175 Replies
3 moms liked this

Bring it on, my day and my life cannot get any worse than they are today.  I had to do a few errands, I am in a lot of pain, (cancer and emotional), it is a cold, rainy day which makes me hurt even worse.  This past week has been hell and I really hope this cancer takes me quick.  I had to buy a cheap pair of tweezers to get some hair that is stuck in an old timey tub drain.  I won't want to use those I use on my body in a drain.  And for $1, I don't feel bad about throwing them away.  I have a service dog,  He is very noticeable, friendly and very well groomed.  There are only four people with service dogs in my city that actually are out in the communities eyes, the balance are in nursing homes or home bound.  It was early, the store was not busy, and I went down the aisle that had toothbrushes and tweezers (etc).  Three black adults where buying toothbrushes for children's gift packages and I walked behind them with my service dog.  One of the adults jumped and screamed and carried on like my dog was going to eat her for lunch.  He never even looked her way, as he is trained to do.  I picked up the tweezers at the other end of the same aisle and she was still carrying on about the dog and 'why do people allow dogs in stores, and she is so afraid he will bite her', she went on and on and on.  I was so thoroughly disgusted that I stopped at the trio on my way down the aisle to the cash register. I stopped and asked if she was afraid of my dog?  Another long tirade of ugly words so I asked her, "If I told you I was afraid of black people, would you consider me ignorant?"  She was just about to slug me when my dog pulled me away, as he is trained to do.  She was yelling how stupid I was, how ignorant I was, I was glad I was the only one in line and I had correct change.  $1.10. 

So, I am ready to take all the crap you can throw at me.  Yes, she is stupid to think a service dog would have ever even noticed her, or anyone except ME.  That is his job, he was trained for 18 months to deal with every situation that a disabled human can get into.  Or, am I the ignorant one and should have kept my big mouth shut?  I had already been to another store and someone was making a fuss over my dog, how beautiful he is, how much he looks like that famous dog.  Again, I was in line at a checkout, I turned and asked if when she saw a person in a wheelchair, or with an prosthetic limb, did she marvel at how pretty they where, how much she would like to have one just like it?  People are disabled, a lot of us military are disabled and this is a huge military town.  I am used to wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs and service dogs.  We even have a service miniature horse in town and nobody even notices them. 

Ugh, I give up.  I have no more shopping to do until late January.  All food, holiday, mail and errands are done for the month of December.  I put 1/2 tank of gas in my car and the last time I filled it was in September.  I don't get out much because it is just so difficult for me, even with this service dog, to deal with everyday life.  The cancer coming back again, well, I don't care.  Ignorance is a disease that needs to be cured faster than cancer.

http://manorofmixedblessings.com/2011/03/14/service-dog-etiquette-for-dog-lovers/

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mojogirl
by Alice Liddell on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM
9 moms liked this

surprised she didn't get one of her friends to bite her so she could claim it was your dog and sue you and the store

sorry your day sucks today

{{{hugs}}}

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I'm sorry, I hope everything gets better :)
meka26
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry you had to deal with that. The lady may have been really terrified of dogs. I am finally able to control my fear of dogs. I would not have been rude though. I would have simply walked to another aisle or left the store. Depending on how I would feel, I would have probably said something ugly to her also.

KRIZZ25
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM
i,m sorry u were treated that way ..some ppl have no common scene.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
You seem defensive. But, I cannot judge you as I have no experience in that area.

The lady was an idiot though.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM
6 moms liked this
Why don't I ever get to witness these public shenanigans?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SKM1119
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM
So sorry you had to deal with that. Some people lack tact. Stay strong!
orchardmoma
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I'm sorry, I hope your day gets better
Night_Roane
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM
8 moms liked this
I guess the difference is that you view your service dog purely as a tool for you. Service dog or no, I would view it as an animal first, and expect that some people would have phobias and some people would adore him. They're not trying to traumatize YOU by thinking your dog is cute or expressing their fear of dogs. I think you took it too personally.

However, I hope you get the couceling and treatment you need for your cancer.
emandab
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM
21 moms liked this

I'm sorry but you sound very bitter.  You bitch because someone was making a nasty scene about your dog and then bitch because someone noticed and adored your dog.  And you say service dogs aren't common in your area but then say that it is very common to see people with disabilites and service animals and no on notices them.  I unserstand your reaction with the people that were "afraid" of your dog, but the rest?  I think you are projecting your fear and anger of the cancer on to others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)