Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I WILL NOT TELL THEM NO! GET OVER IT! *Update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 338 Replies
1 mom liked this
DD's Flower and Pops (grandma and grandpa) decided they are getting her an American Girl dll for Christmas this year. I told SO (not DD's father) this and he got a bug up his ass, saying I should tell them no because a 3 year old should not have an American Girl doll. I simply looked at him and said "I will NOT tell her grandparents that they cannot get her what THEY want to get for just because YOU think she shouldn't have it! Get over yourself!" Needless to say he told me it was stupid to spend that kind of money on a 3 year old and isn't speaking to me right now because I don't agree and won't tell them no.

Would you tell your kids grandparent's they can't get their grandchild some thing for Christmas, that they choose, not including some thing dangerous or the like?

*UPDATE*

Damn that man and his inability to communicate. He should have told me that he was upset about the doll because he wanted to get DD one. He's gonna spend that money on a furniture piece and an outfit or two.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM
4 moms liked this

I agree with his thought on three year olds and AG dolls... 

HOWEVER, I agree with you on the whole, "They buy the gift they want to buy."

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I don't see a problem with an AG doll for that age. not a big deal

Caera
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
16 moms liked this

No. They're the Grandparents. They can do what they want. That's kinda the point of being a grandparent.

abrine7673
by Awesome Possum on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
6 moms liked this
And would theu even listen to you?

If they wanna spend the money on it let them.

Btw this will be a great opportunity for you to teach your dd about being responsible for our things. Get her doll a special ppace to sleep and she tuck her in every night before her bedtime. How to play nice etc.
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
4 moms liked this

I totally dodged the AG phenomenon because I think it's bullshit, but I agree with you on principle. 

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

That's dumb. I bought both my nephews and my niece laptops (the v-tech learning ones) and they are 2, 3 and 4. I don't care what they cost, it's what I wanted to buy.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

This.

Can you compromise?  Have the doll on display on a shelf in her room until she is old enough to take care of it?

Quoting KrissyKC:

I agree with his thought on three year olds and AG dolls... 

HOWEVER, I agree with you on the whole, "They buy the gift they want to buy."

tardistraveller
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know what an american girl doll is, but if it isn't harmful in some way, it's their money so why does he care?

OrientalLily
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

No, I wouldn't.  I think that's a perfectly fine gift for the grandparents to give.  Tell your SO to shove it...

Sparkler16
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
4 moms liked this
I think he's being ridiculous. I understand it being a expensive gift for such a little girl but he's not being ask to foot the bill. Her grandparents are choosing to do it and if they'd like to spoil their beautiful granddaughter that's their right. Plus what a great way to teach her at a young age about taking care of special things!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured