Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Socially awkward moms at the playground- edit

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 416 Replies
2 moms liked this

When you take the kids to the playground, how do you "handle" socially awkward moms.  Do you ignore them?  Talk to them to try and bring them out of their shell?  Gossip about them to your mom friends?  What if your kids seem to be having fun together?

Edit- I am/can be socially awkward at the park when my views on life don't mesh with a mom who is striking up a conversation.  I am also usually quiet unless spoken to.  I had no idea how much pent up bitchiness my fellow introverts/awkward moms had.  I can appreciate feeling angry, but damn, I am one of your own.

Edit 2- Thanks to all the fellow introverts/socially awkwards who were honest and nice about it.  Thank you to the social butterflies and extroverts who have made me feel less like I am being judged at the park or eye rolled.

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM
44 moms liked this
I am an introvert personally and I don't like it when people are pushy and keep trying to engage me in a conversation when I am having a grand ole time thinking and watching my children. My advice: say a friendly hello and let the other mom decide if she wants to carry on a conversation.
luvbugs3
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM
14 moms liked this

I am that mom, so I don't know...

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm the socially awkward mom. Some other parent's are nice and make small talk, others hop on the phone, and a few *very few* talk shit.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
7 moms liked this
why would you play with the moms at the play ground. i usually played with my kids, thats what we were there for...
Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM
22 moms liked this

LOL You're talking about me. I'm the socially awkward mom everywhere I go. While I do appreciate people reaching out to talk to me, it usually makes me uncomfortable, namely because I do not share the common interests that most women do, so I never have anything to say. It kind of puts me on the spot. I prefer to be left alone, lol.

ajrjj05
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Our daisy leader is like that. She has a black daughther, it is her 9th kid! She complains daddy don't help her. She has a man's haircut, her teeth are rotting out of her head. She is weird, you know her life story. I wish she wasn't the leader!!! She is weird, and she is mentally disabled as I saw her working for the group home that deals with those people. She is just odd! I don't deal with her and go to the other leader instead. 

FrozenSnow85
by Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting YzmaRocks: I am an introvert personally and I don't like it when people are pushy and keep trying to engage me in a conversation when I am having a grand ole time thinking and watching my children. My advice: say a friendly hello and let the other mom decide if she wants to carry on a conversation.

Introvert here too.  Just trying to get an idea of what goes through other people's heads when I am quiet at the playground.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM
This is me!

Quoting Superlaura328:

LOL You're talking about me. I'm the socially awkward mom everywhere I go. While I do appreciate people reaching out to talk to me, it usually makes me uncomfortable, namely because I do not share the common interests that most women do, so I never have anything to say. It kind of puts me on the spot. I prefer to be left alone, lol.

luvbugs3
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM
3 moms liked this

I giggle so much when I am nervous, and I feel like I can never think of anything good to say to people. Then I notice my nervous giggle and feel stupid, so I avoid talking to people, I just watch my kids and keep to myself.

embrigmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm supper out going and very friendly so I try to talk to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)