Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Socially awkward moms at the playground- edit

Posted by   + Show Post

When you take the kids to the playground, how do you "handle" socially awkward moms.  Do you ignore them?  Talk to them to try and bring them out of their shell?  Gossip about them to your mom friends?  What if your kids seem to be having fun together?

Edit- I am/can be socially awkward at the park when my views on life don't mesh with a mom who is striking up a conversation.  I am also usually quiet unless spoken to.  I had no idea how much pent up bitchiness my fellow introverts/awkward moms had.  I can appreciate feeling angry, but damn, I am one of your own.

Edit 2- Thanks to all the fellow introverts/socially awkwards who were honest and nice about it.  Thank you to the social butterflies and extroverts who have made me feel less like I am being judged at the park or eye rolled.

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (291-300):
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I'm the moody mom. Lol. I can be a chatty Cathy, or a leave me alone Alisha.
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I don't think anything negative, unless you are obviously being weird or gross or rude or something on an extreme level lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Because that's how you make new friends.

Quoting Anonymous: why would you play with the moms at the play ground. i usually played with my kids, thats what we were there for...

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this

God, I go so I don't have to play with my kids! I don't like playing. They can play with their friends.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because that's how you make new friends.

Quoting Anonymous: why would you play with the moms at the play ground. i usually played with my kids, thats what we were there for...

kaylamom2004
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I don't bother interacting with other parents at the playground. I'm there to watch my child and play with her usually. Not make nice with other parents who may or may not be watching their own kids.

oldskool321
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I can usually pin point the ones that I can relate too. But I'm open to anybody who's friendly.
Connorsmom0920
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Same as a lot of moms on here. Usually just give a hello and smile then see where it goes from there. Some moms are looking for somekne to chat with and some moms juat want to relax in peace. It is the dog park that I try to avoid making too much conversation. I bring my pup to burn off energy and hang out w fourlegged friends but I am not the dog mom that knits sweaters and bakes biscuits for my dog. Dog moms are worst than parents. They will seriously ask you what kind of food,who your vet is, how many ttimes a day he goes poop!
Connie04
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

For some people. it is really difficult to approach others or strike up a conversation.  I'm an introvert, too, and I tried to be friendly and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  It just depended on the people and whether or not we clicked.  I didn't judge others as everyone is different.  Some people prefer to be alone and others can't stop talking!

srehman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM
I am a little of both. I think I feed off of the others persons energy. If I try to engage in a conversation and it doesn't work then I leave them alone or if they do try to engage in a conversation with me I get a "feel" for them and decide. It's funny bc I do like being social but I have moments when I really want to be alone and quiet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I am friendly and find it depressing that there aren't more friendly moms out there. If I sense someone is feeling awkward I stay far away from them. I'm not going to chase anyone.  But if someone is accepting and open, that's the best thing in the world! I love friendly moms! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)