Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A stranger bought my childrens' presents this year. L O N G edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
12 moms liked this

We're a military family- lower enlisted. We have 3 children. I just got out of the military earlier this year, so DH could do something different with his career that would require him to be gone 85% of the time and move to where I wouldn't have been able to go. In that time, my ex messed up big time, forcing us to go back to court to the tune of $5000 to get his visitation stopped, putting us in an extremely hard financial situation. I'm currently getting back in the military to fix it. Because of that, my kids were getting presents from other people and that's pretty much it for Xmas- besides for a couple of watches that were $2 each and my DD was getting a couple of $1 amazon necklaces and ODS was getting some dollar tree things. 

Being a military family, I looked on a website to help a neighbor with a personal matter and saw that they had an 'adopt a military family' program. I took two minutes, signed up and kind of forgot about it. I really didn't expect anything to come of it, but I had to try something. We have enough to pay our bills and that's IT. We're actually waiting on food stamps now because I have $120/mo for a family of 5. I put their general interests- princess paraphernalia for DD, lego and superhero things for DS and just asked for 9 mo clothes for baby DS because he barely has any 9 mo things and I'm still putting him in 6 mo stuff, hoping he'll get a couple outfits for xmas before I go to the thrift shop. 

A couple of days later, I got an email from the website saying we were adopted!! Wait... what?! I was honored someone would choose us, but again didn't think much of it. Honestly, I would have been absolutely grateful that they would even send my two older ones stickers. 

That was about two weeks ago. 

Then, last night I got this email.

Our company has adopted your family this year through the xxxxxxx program. We want to let you know that your package is being shipped out tomorrow-12/6/13-with a scheduled arrival date of 12/9/13. The UPS tracking number is: . 

In the package, you will find gifts for all of your kiddos as well as a gift card to purchase your holiday meal. Please note that the xxxxxxx program instructed us to mark all of the packages as "From, xxxxx" Please feel free to change out the tags to state from whoever you would like (Santa, yourselves, etc.). 

We hope you have a wonderful holiday season and that this package of goodies brings a smile to all of your faces! Thank you so much for all you and your family do for our country!

I immediately just started sobbing. I NEVER EVER expected this. EVER. I don't even know what to say. This goes so far beyond just being happy my children are going to have a Christmas. My faith in fellow man is renewed. I ....... I just don't know how to respond to them, how to properly convey my feelings. I want them to understand that I'm so thankful that there are people out there that would even THINK to do this sort of thing. 

So, with that, help me write my email back, please! Below is what I have so far.

I don't even know what to say. I've never been so blown away by someone's grace and kindness. When I filled out the application, I honestly didn't think our family would get chosen. As it stood, my two older ones were getting two mickey mouse watches I found on amazon for $2 and not a whole lot else- maybe some coloring books and crayons, so their faith in Santa wouldn't have been compromised. The baby wasn't even included because I figured he's not going to remember it and it would just cost more money we didn't really have. I'm so very grateful that there are still people like you and the people that work for you in this world. I will never forget the blessings you have given us- not just their monetary value, but the lesson and love behind your actions, as well. Once the gifts have lived their life in our house, they will be donated to xxxxxxxx House, a shelter for homeless women veterans in my area, where we donate regularly. Once our Christmas gets a little easier to budget for, we hope to be able to help another young military family, like you have helped us. 

ok, so I just looked at the tracking information to confirm the delivery date and it says it's SEVENTEEN  POUNDS!!!!!! Oh my word!!!!!!!!!!!  These people truly went above and beyond! Shit, here come the tears again...

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm in tears. That is beautiful what they have done for you. I think your response is heartfelt and fine as is!
stacy8606
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I think that sounds fantastic, they will know you are truly grateful and it is a lovely letter for them to post somewhere for all of the employees to read! It is great that you want to give back when you can and I think they will appreciate that your toys go somewhere else when you are done- we also try to donate our old toys and I think it is wonderful that you pay it forward. Merry Christmas!
SageAdvice
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM

:o) it's great you want to pay it forward when you are able. . 

Happy Holidays.

debbie26
by Debbie on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM
That's awesome
Zanny
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM

This is wonderful news!!  I'm so happy & excited for you and your family..  Merry Christmas!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Me, too! It's amazing there are people like them still in this world. 

Quoting sweetboys4me: I'm in tears. That is beautiful what they have done for you. I think your response is heartfelt and fine as is!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks. I volunteer there with my kids regularly and have given a lot to them in this last year that we've been stationed here. Even though we're pretty screwed financially right now, at least we still have a home and things that many other people aren't privileged to and I want to show my children that they still have a LOT to be thankful for.

Quoting stacy8606: I think that sounds fantastic, they will know you are truly grateful and it is a lovely letter for them to post somewhere for all of the employees to read! It is great that you want to give back when you can and I think they will appreciate that your toys go somewhere else when you are done- we also try to donate our old toys and I think it is wonderful that you pay it forward. Merry Christmas!

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM
That's wonderful!!!! Merry Christmas to your family :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Believe me that letter is going to mean a lot to the company that adopted you. My old work would adopt a big low income family in our area and give the kids everything on wish list through our donations. We also brought a truckload of food. Never a thanks but we weren't expecting one. However the next year when Hurricane Katrina hit we adopted 15 families and three sent notes. The girl that I personally adopted sent me the most beautiful letter and drawing. If meant a lot.
Arib107
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM
That's amazing
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)