Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Katie Couric Slammed for Questioning HPV Vaccine - Have you or yours gotten it?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 207 Replies

Katie Couric Slammed for Questioning HPV Vaccine

by Maressa Brown

katie couric questions hpv vaccine"Is Katie Couric the next Jenny McCarthy?" asks an accusatory headline on TIME.com. The question is one some are asking after the news anchor-turned-daytime talk show host ran a lead segment on her show, Katie, about the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine yesterday. Surprise, surprise -- Katie's critical look at the vax is being slammed.

Katie had two mothers as her guests on the show: Emily Tarsell, a mother who says the death of her daughter, Christina, was caused by the HPV vaccine Gardasil in 2008, and a mother and daughter, Rosemary and Lauren Mathis, who believe Lauren developed a bizarre illness characterized by nausea and fatigue due to the vaccine. (Rosemary Mathis is now the director of the anti-HPV organization, SaneVax, Inc.) As you might imagine, these women have a serious bone to pick with the vaccine, and they're not alone.

There are plenty of fears and questions about the safety and side effects associated with the vaccine. In 2008, only 4.5 percent of parents listed safety concerns as a reason for their daughter to avoid the shot. But by 2010, that number skyrocketed to 16 percent. Perhaps this is due to a dose of healthy skepticism ... and/or reported side effects.

Many Gardasil recipients experience redness, soreness, and fainting after the vaccine, which is considered normal. But thousands of women have also reported even more disturbing complications, such as crippling fatigue, paralysis, blindness, or autoimmune complications, and some have even died, according to CDC and FDA data. And "more than 70 healthy young girls have died from a neurological reaction that occurred soon after getting Gardasil," says vaccine developer Diane M. Harper, M.D., who received funding from Merck and GlaxoSmithKline for research on their HPV vaccines.

As for efficacy, more than 100 strains of HPV exist, 30 of them are associated with cervical cancer, and the vaccines (Gardasil and Cervarix) target just two types -- numbers 16 and 18 -- which are thought to be major root causes of cervical cancer, says Harper. And when Harper appeared on Katie's show, she explained that the the vaccine loses efficacy after five years (a claim that is being refuted and attacked as false, dangerous, and negligent). But because slow-growing cervical cancer takes ages to develop, any vaccine would need to be 100 percent effective for at least 15 years to truly prevent the disease.

All of that said, cervical cancer can be prevented without the shot -- by having regular Pap tests.

Thus, it's okay to wonder whether or not the shot is absolutely necessary. And yet, for allowing these women to voice their grievances and openly question the safety and efficacy of the HPV vaccine, Katie is now being slammed as irresponsible. Ridiculous.

It's not like the segment came out swinging against ALL vaccines -- or even painted a completely one-sided story about the HPV vax. Couric was merely spurring debate about one, relatively new vaccine, which is not necessarily the miracle they'd have us believe. It's her job as a journalist to start a conversation, to ask questions, to shed light where it hasn't been shed before. And when it comes to something like this vaccine, which is understandably controversial, thorough investigation of BOTH sides of the issue is something we should all be doing before getting stuck with a needle.

What do you think about Katie's coverage of the HPV vaccine? Have you gotten it or had your children get it -- why or why not?

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM
6 moms liked this

Nope, we are vaccine free in our family.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Both of my daughters have received it and both of my boys will, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

She gets slammed over a LOOK?! People literally can't do anything these days. And no, I will not be getting it. 

MizzDeeDee
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM
12 moms liked this

I have done every vaccine for my daughter (2)... but she won't get this one. This one has some pretty bad side effects, and it was released without a lot of scientific testing. Even the Pharmacist I worked with told me she wouldn't let her daughter get it.

So, every vaccine... INCLUDING flu shot, just not the Gardasil one.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Who is questioning her? I am a vaccinating parent, but I will never agree to my children getting the HPV vaccine. It scares me.

gumbeme06
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
The vaccine was too new for me to trust so I always declined. My daughter, son and any future children won't be getting it either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
8 moms liked this

The pharma industry is behind slamming her...

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

No, my daughter's will not be getting it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM

so what will you do if the unthinkable happens to one of your children and they end up vaccine damaged? Don't you think about those things? 

Quoting Nicoleb9: Both of my daughters have received the it and both of my boys will, too.

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Got one out of three. Chose not to continue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)