Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG! Yes I allow my 2yo DD to do that.

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 362 Replies
8 moms liked this

I recently had a friend over at my house.  We were sitting and chatting when I noticed that the sun was getting cloud covered and the house was starting to cool.  So I began getting things ready to make a fire.  DD gets super excited when I do this because she loves helping.  So she helped.  I allowed her to crumple the paper and put it in the fireplace, gather kindling and set up wood by the fireplace.  She help me set it all up from start to finish.  And then when the time came I lit a small stick and handed it to DD and together her and I started the fire.  

I thought my friends eyes were about to pop out of her head as she watched.  She was shocked that I allow my 2 year old help me start fires in the fireplace from start to finish.  The way I see it is that she knows how to do most of it with supervision so why not let her do it?  It is going to be something she needs to know how to do any way so start early, right?

What are some things you let your kids do that people find shocking?  Or do you not allow your kids to do things that you think are too "big" for them?  What age is the appropriate time for them to learn these things?

Just click!

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CPatt0708
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM
21 moms liked this

We used to help my grandparents with all of that when we were very young.  I think as long as you are there (obviously) and teaching them safety while you're at it, it's all good!  Nothing wrong with it as long as everyone is careful and the responsible adult is present.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM
52 moms liked this
Hate to be a nay sayer, but I wouldn't do that. You can't watch them every second and now she thinks it's ok to light things on fire...
PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM
26 moms liked this

All of the lighters, matches and such are out of her reach.  And we have taught her that she only gets to do this when mommy or daddy are doing it with her.  Thankfully we have a LO who listens and minds very well.

Quoting Anonymous: Hate to be a nay sayer, but I wouldn't do that. You can't watch them every second and now she thinks it's ok to light things on fire...

ashthecat
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
10 moms liked this

As long as you're teaching her fire safety. Along with how to start a fire. I think it's great that you let her help. 

ablox
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I dont see it as a bad thing as long as she is only doing it when you do and not trying to do it on her own

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
5 moms liked this
As long as she doesnt start wanting to light everything id say u r fine. Tho me personally id let her help with everything BUT the fire part.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM
6 moms liked this

idk...i don't really pay attention to what others find "shocking" or "weird" if i think my kid is capable, i let him do it.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

We make very clear rules.  You don't touch the stove unless mommy or daddy are with you and helping.

Quoting ashthecat:

As long as you're teaching her fire safety. Along with how to start a fire. I think it's great that you let her help. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I remember doing that when i was that age...it was special, cuz just me and mommy did that while everyone else was in school. and it is basically how i learned to make a fire

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

We've explained to her that fire is "hot".  Hot is the first word we learned that meant danger for her.  We had to teach her hot so she wouldn't try to touch the stove when she was younger.  

So when we tell her "hot" she knows it will hurt you if you touch it or play with it.

Quoting svolkov: As long as she doesnt start wanting to light everything id say u r fine. Tho me personally id let her help with everything BUT the fire part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured